what ever happened to corn stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two new big assed "E" plants within an hour of me and a sweetener plant...no I can't imagine either one of them has had any effect on pricing at all! Corn is a commodity bought and sold in the Futures market where people make big money analyzing markets and trends....what it boils down to is supply and demand.
Leftovers from the fermentation process are best described as fillers or roughage at best. Your animals would probably starve to death on a full stomach if they had a steady diet of it.
The only good thing I can say about ethanol as a fuel additive is it has done away with the need for gas line antifreeze and it is keeping the small engine shops really busy. Left in a small engine for any amount of time it is pure death to their carbs, and no it is not friendly to fuel lines. In an application that is made for it and is constantly being used (automotive) it isn't bad, but where it's corrosive and hygroscopic side effects are allowed to work it is CRAP! My saws and small engines have a steady diet of "e" free premium fuel. If I were running throw away says I probably wouldn't care. Ethanol if anything has driven gas prices higher, and reduced the mileage (mpg) in our vehicles.

I love ethanol. Particularly when it has been aged in new, charred, white oak barrels for at least a few years. However you can keep it the heck out of my dang gasoline tank.

Feed stock requirements for the dwindling herds of cows and hogs dropped like a rock. A disease killing pigs and drought in cattle country pushed corn supplies over the top.

Yawn.
Sometime Brother Bart needs to go to a few cattle auctions and see how things really work. You can also talk to pork producers and find out from them rather then dreaming up some fiction or reading a mother Earth magazine. Next thing we know you will be telling how many people have been starved to death because some others are burning corn for heat.
You seem to ignore the fact that grain and livestock production are both driven by demand and prices plus mother natures little surprises. 7 or 8.00 corn was not due to ethanol but a combination of circumstances. It has evened out as farmers planted more acres and the seed corn companies have been increasing yields per acre and developing varieties with much shorter growing seasons.
You should also study the grain export market to see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.