What green thing(s) are you doing to contribute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you provide a link to the bulb for under $10 that you are using in the kitchen cans?

Hard to get link in but this looks like the bulb, although the picture isn't quite the same... Online it is now showing a price about $20/ea, but the ones I picked up were on sale at like 9.95/ea last year. I keep watching for the sales again as they have been working great for me.

Utilitech 60-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb

Item #: 338931 | Model #: LA19/OM800/LED

Well, lets see...

heat with about 95% renewable biofuel
run car, mow yard, hopefully soon cut wood with 85% renewable biofuel
wife's car is a Honda Insight @ ~56mpg lifetime mpg
take every step possible to reduce use of oil obtained from foreign dictators / terrorists and/or injecting toxic chemicals into the ground water / aka 'fracking'
catch / recycle as much rainwater as possible
retrofit high efficiency AC and installed extra TXV for even better efficiency
maintain / upkeep on old growth shade trees around house to minimize solar gain in the summer / maximize in winter
install LED / fluorescent lights where possible
set up 'smart home' system to control lights as needed
Reduce/Reuse/Recycling, etc

catch / recycle as much rainwater as possible...
I have to re-roof and am going with metal. Here in the Ozarks we get about 50 inches of precip/year. My question: what is the oak, hickory, and cedar forest pollen impact on captured rainwater storage? Do you try to use captured rainwater for anything other than non-potable? If so, have you turned up any pathogens in your storage? Thanks, Jim

Do you try to use captured rainwater for anything other than non-potable? If so, have you turned up any pathogens in your storage? Thanks, Jim

Jim - I think rain catch is recommended for non-potable only, just for some of the reasons you state. Watering trees and plants with it is not introducing anything new to them. Watering humans - another story. MMMmmm...tree pollen...yummy.;sick

Reactions: jimbom
I use my catch water for watering garden, adding to the compost pile, changing water in my fish tank, various pottery uses (making glazes, throwing water, rinsing hands), and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure. I know a guy that is off the grid- he drinks his and has never had an issue. The first portion likely contains all the pollen- need to do fractionation.

Hard to get link in but this looks like the bulb, although the picture isn't quite the same... Online it is now showing a price about $20/ea, but the ones I picked up were on sale at like 9.95/ea last year. I keep watching for the sales again as they have been working great for me.

Utilitech 60-Watt Equivalent Indoor Warm White LED Light Bulb

Item #: 338931 | Model #: LA19/OM800/LED

Thanks. I'll watch for it on sale:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=338931-75774-LA19/OM800/LED

I have to re-roof and am going with metal. Here in the Ozarks we get about 50 inches of precip/year. My question: what is the oak, hickory, and cedar forest pollen impact on captured rainwater storage? Do you try to use captured rainwater for anything other than non-potable? If so, have you turned up any pathogens in your storage? Thanks, Jim

We do non-potable only...generally watering plants, herbs, garden, etc around the house. Basically, it's pond-quality water...has pollen, dust, the occasional bug, asphalt roof granules, what ever pollution it picked up falling through the sky, etc. Nothing you'd ever consider drinking without some purification.

Though if a person took the time to catch it in a sanitary manner and do some mild purification (UV, ozone?) I suspect it could be as good or better than water coming out of the ground or from a lake/river - where it can pick up anything from asbestos, arsenic, pesticides/herbicides, other pathogens to toxic chemicals from fracking, and who knows what else!

We do non-potable only...generally watering plants, herbs, garden, etc around the house. Basically, it's pond-quality water...has pollen, dust, the occasional bug, asphalt roof granules, what ever pollution it picked up falling through the sky, etc. Nothing you'd ever consider drinking without some purification.

Though if a person took the time to catch it in a sanitary manner and do some mild purification (UV, ozone?) I suspect it could be as good or better than water coming out of the ground or from a lake/river - where it can pick up anything from asbestos, arsenic, pesticides/herbicides, other pathogens to toxic chemicals from fracking, and who knows what else!
I think the metal roof helps here as it washes off quick compared to a rough surface, but you're right- there's probably an easy treatment

If you want to use rainwater for potable supply I'd look for a device that diverts the first flush of runoff from each storm away from storage (I think you can find some online) and you will need disinfection. Rainwater has dust, pollen, nutrients, etc. that will allow bacteria to grow in the water while the water is stored. The primary negative impact of pollen is that it provides potential food for bacteria, potentially including pathogens. Pollen probably also adds taste to the water. Keep the storage container as clean as possible and disinfect continuously. I'd use ozone disinfection which leaves no residual besides oxygen. I think small ozone generators are not very expensive. I can't recommend a manufacturer.

Rain water from the roof should be treated like any surface water via chemically assisted filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.