1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

what is a Cigar burn

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by James02, Jan 17, 2012.

1. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Please explain....thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Burning the wood from one end to another by rakeing the coals forward, first time I heard the term was from a book I read about wood burning 30 years ago, it was refering to the kind of burn you get with the baffle stoves.
  3. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.

I saw what you posted in a previous...post. I was thinking it was some way of getting a slow burn. Thanks!
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I've heard the term used to describe the front to back burn one gets with box stoves like the old Upland 27, Jotul 602 and in particular the 118. Though perhaps it applies to any N/S burn?

"A good Scandinavian woodstove like the Jotul 118 burns logs from end to end like a cigar, and forces the air inside the stove into an S-shaped pattern, thus ensuring complete combustion. It achieves this at a near constant temperature throughout the burning cycle. Some Scandinavian woodstoves are constructed of cast iron, instead of the sheet steel used elsewhere. The Scandinavians have a long experience in this field, and claim that iron retains heat longer and distributes it more evenly than steel. Further, that it will last better."

The Woodburning Book - David Thear
    http://www.alternativetechnology.info/woodburning.htm
  5. egclassic

egclassic Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    I must be doing something wrong! Every time I try to get the cigar burn going, it's not long and the whole box is ablaze.
    I guess it's because the front ends of the splits are propped up on the coal bed which leaves just enough room under the splits for the air to get through.
    Try, try again!