what is a Cigar burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Please explain....thanks!

Burning the wood from one end to another by rakeing the coals forward, first time I heard the term was from a book I read about wood burning 30 years ago, it was refering to the kind of burn you get with the baffle stoves.

oldspark said:
Burning the wood from one end to another by rakeing the coals forward, first time I heard the term was from a book I read about wood burning 30 years ago, it was refering to the kind of burn you get with the baffle stoves.

I saw what you posted in a previous...post. I was thinking it was some way of getting a slow burn. Thanks!

I've heard the term used to describe the front to back burn one gets with box stoves like the old Upland 27, Jotul 602 and in particular the 118. Though perhaps it applies to any N/S burn?

"A good Scandinavian woodstove like the Jotul 118 burns logs from end to end like a cigar, and forces the air inside the stove into an S-shaped pattern, thus ensuring complete combustion. It achieves this at a near constant temperature throughout the burning cycle. Some Scandinavian woodstoves are constructed of cast iron, instead of the sheet steel used elsewhere. The Scandinavians have a long experience in this field, and claim that iron retains heat longer and distributes it more evenly than steel. Further, that it will last better."

The Woodburning Book - David Thear
http://www.alternativetechnology.info/woodburning.htm

I must be doing something wrong! Every time I try to get the cigar burn going, it's not long and the whole box is ablaze.
I guess it's because the front ends of the splits are propped up on the coal bed which leaves just enough room under the splits for the air to get through.
Try, try again!

Status
Not open for further replies.