What is the consensus for pellet stove, manual or auto?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerjoe

Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2006
New Brunswick, Kanata
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the Auto/manual ignition modes as far as pellet consumption is concerned?

Basically what I am looking for is to determine what mode uses more pellets on a certain period of time like 14hours.

Also does anyone know what the feed rate is for the Harman when the stove is set up in manual ignition and the stove doesnt call for heat?

Just curious.

Thanks

I used to run my stove on manual just put it down on a lower setting. I then hooked it up to a thermostat and noted a huge difference in my refilling schedule. I think that the thermostat is a must. I really like my stove since it shuts all the way down so that it is consuming 0 lbs of pellets when not needed. I've heard numerous arguements about even heating and that the stoves that run in low when the thermostat is satisfied are better etc. All I can say is come sit in my evenly heated house with my "on/off" pellet stove and let's argue. Plus I have the option to put it in manual on the really cold days to prevent excessive cycling of my igniter if needed.

For the Harmon take the low end btu listed and divide by 8200 that will give you the lbs./hr. I don't think that Harman tests or lists overall efficiency for their stoves.

So you have it on auto ignition?

Unless someone has done it before and comes forward I plan this weekend study exactly how many pellets the stove in auto burns to get the fire going and then study what is the minimal comsumption to keep the fire going when heat is not required (ie manual ignition mode)

I want to figure out if keeping the stove on all the time (manual) ends up burning alot more pellets than having it shut down and reignite when in auto mode.
Of course I am not considering the difference in electricity costs, because in manual mode the ignitor is not necessary.

I am planning on getting a t/stat installed as well, and this is why I want to figure out if keeping the fire on all the time and basically let the t/stat control the temp instead of the stove it saves me pellets. :)

My stove uses 1.7-5.5 lbs per hour. Average length between lightings is around an hour. Using that comparison there is no way that I'm using 1.7 lbs on start up and I would use 1.7 lbs if that stove ran on low for the hour between lightings. If you wanted to get really technical you could calculate how many times an igniter lights on average in a lifetime and determine exact electrical usage of the igniter and add that cost to the minute amount of pellets used during ignition and add that all up. Still not going ot cost more than the 1.7 lbs burned on low during the hour between lightings.

Status
Not open for further replies.