what is this coacoa colored wood. looks like layerd cake almost.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
Can you identify this type of wood. it looks like a bunch of coacoa colored veneers, or layed cake with coacoa colored frosting on each thin layer. I only have one of these that i have seen so far. The grain kind of wraps around at the end, looks like something i should be making furniture out of instead of burning.
coacoacoloredwood.jpg

coacoacoloredwood1.jpg

coacoacoloredwood2.jpg

Really tough to tell on one piece with no bark, that grain kinda looks like Kentucky coffee, although it probably isn't common growing wild in nj, it is planted as an ornamental tree. But that is the only tree I can think of right now with that type of color and layered grain, and if it is Kentucky coffee the you are right about making furniture, it is one of the most beautiful woods out there. Did you cut the tree?

Tiger Striped maple ?

It's hackberry, Celtis occidentalis.

It gets the streaky brown bits when it has been cut but not sawn and dried.

When it is sawn for lumber and dried properly it has a nice white to yellow cream color with open pores similar to Ash.

It is a good cabinet wood when treated properly , but mostly it gets cut into pallet wood or dunnage.

J.P.

no i did not cut it myself it came in a cord that i purchased. It is quite heavy for it's size. it should make a lot of heat considering how dense it is or how dense it feels based on its weight.

Tiger striped maple, thats funny!

Very well could be hackberry, to bad the bark peeled off, then it would be easy fo to look for that pimpley texture. I don't think it is walnut, the sapwood in walnut is generally light in color only the heartwood is dark.

Whatever it is, I'd rather make rifle stocks or pistol grips out of it than burn it. That wood looks purty.

Beetle-Kill said:
Whatever it is, I'd rather make rifle stocks or pistol grips out of it than burn it. That wood looks purty.

+1

cass

Yeah,I'm thinking possible jewelry boxes,various inlay or knife scales,other small projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.