what is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark123

Jan 27, 2009
PEI, Canada
What is the black thing in the picture that has "Watts" on it. What does it do?

Attachments

• watts.jpg
    watts.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 476
That is an air seperator. I bet there is an expansion tank connected to the pipe coming from the bottom? The top part is the vent. This unit will help to remove dissolved air from your system water....

Yes there is a tank under it. Is there any advantage over just having air vents at high points?

The expansion tank is necessary for any pressurized install. The size of the tank is determined by the volume of water in a system. Most tanks have an air separator attached to them. It is also a good idea to put air vents at the high points in your piping.

I realize you need the tank, I meant is there an advantage of using that watts air seperator over just usuing the vents alone.

mark123 said:
I realize you need the tank, I meant is there an advantage of using that watts air seperator over just usuing the vents alone.

Vents let out sizeable pockets of air when you open the vents; an air separator's job is to help extract and release small bubbles that may be distributed throughout/ move around in the system, and that may work their way out gradually- and also to let out air that may have actually been dissolved in the water, and that will be released gradually as the water is heated.

It's not an either-or or better-worse comparison between vents/ separator- it's a matter of the two complementing each other to get air out and keep it out.

I guess what I am getting at is that my current system does not have it and I am going to install a new woodgun, should I put one in even though I have not had any problems with air in my current wood boiling system.

It's a pretty standard component for boiler rigs. For long term protection I think it's a good idea. Get that air outta there...

Commonly called an air scoop. It has a ramp inside that directs air up to the brass vent. It should be installed with 18" of straight pipe up stream to operate best. Put them at the discharge side of the boiler as air comes out best at the hottest point.

It serves as a scoop, air vent connection, and also an expansion tank mount. The system pump should always be installed just downstream of this devise, when the expansion tank is connected to it. The expansion tank connection establishes the PONPC point of no pressure change.

This is also the best place to connect any auto fill valves as it is the only point in the system where the pressure is not effected by the pump.

They work great as long as you do not have excessive velocity or turbulence, hence the up stream piping suggestion.

The micro bubble resorber devices are better at "scrubbing" the tiny micro bubbles that often blow right through the scoop type.

hr

mark123 said:
I guess what I am getting at is that my current system does not have it and I am going to install a new woodgun, should I put one in even though I have not had any problems with air in my current wood boiling system.

Air can be an immediate problem, in the form of noise in the pipes, but it can also in the form of oxygen dissolved in the water (which will escape given a route like an air separator, but will otherwise remain dissolved) lead slower long term corrosion within the system. I don't know if you're getting the stainless WoodGun, which might make that less of an issue- but I'd ask WoodGun and go with their recommendation.

I did get the stainless. I wonder if it would be a good idea to save the 40 gallons of 5 year old water out of my current boiler and pour it into my woodgun, it would be 40 gallons of O2 free water. Maybe strain it first.

mark123 said:
I did get the stainless. I wonder if it would be a good idea to save the 40 gallons of 5 year old water out of my current boiler and pour it into my woodgun, it would be 40 gallons of O2 free water. Maybe strain it first.

You could also run it thru your brita filter. I think I would go with new water and water treatment as supplied for the woodgun and maybe put the old water out for the chipmunks :ahhh:

Mark, I recently communicated by email with Watts over a similar question. I purchased Watts Automatic Air Vents for the high points in my system. The directions that came with them said there had to be a 2-1/2 times larger diameter section of pipe directly under each air vent for the vent to be able to separate out air bubbles effectively when water was flowing. They indicated the air scoop you have pictured under your air vent would perform that function. The air scoops all seem to have a small fitting on top so size your air separators accordingly.

Also, on a side note, PexSupply listed the Taco 49-150T Air Separator as part of the 4900 series of air/dirt separators. It is an air separator only, as I was displeased to discover on delivery. Misleading product description.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.