What is your ideal home temp during the heating season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Before i had the wood stove the thermo stat was set for around 68!I do like it alittle higher but with oil so high we needed to keep it at this range.Now that we have the wood stove!low to mid 70s is ideal for me.my wife prefers it alittle cooler but i think thats just because shes worried about the oil bill :) .I dont care to bundle up inside or sleep under tons of blankets unless i have no choice.

I guess whatever the both of you are most comfortable at...providing you don't slow burn.

Me- about 67-68. My wife is still cold at 70 but no one is complaining when it's 80 and we're sittin in front of a stove full of free wood :cheese:

As long as we feel cold varies day to day. We go by feel not temp. It doesn't cost me any extra to keep it a few degrees warmer if it feels chilly.
In case We get carried away and get it too hot in the house we open a window.

When we lived in a house that used oil, we kept it around 68 when we were home, 62 overnight and just layered more clothes and blankets on. But now that we have the wood stove and all the free wood we can use, we keep it at 75+ and don't layer the clothes on. It got up around 80 last night before I went to bed. I wanted it warm so I didn't have to wake up early to start another fire. I love a very warm house in the dead of winter. And knowing I'm not bankrupting myself to pay for oil makes it all the more toasty.

I agree with crazy_dan.

There just does not seem to me much sense in living in a house and feeling cold. Therefore, we keep it warm. Most times probably around 80 degrees. Sometimes warmer, sometimes cooler. I like to see people sweat when they stop to visit too! Then they go home to their cold house. Ha! When they come there, they take clothing off and are comfortable. Like Dan, if it gets too warm, we can easily open a window for a short time. I do like it cool in the bedroom though.

Ideally, the wife and I seem to be most comfortable around 72F. But we make some adjustments...in summer, running up around 75-76F to lower the AC bill a little, and in winter, putting on a sweatshirt or other clothes until the temp gets down to ~65F at which point we'll get a fire going to moderate the temp. The stove room heats up a little more than the rest of the house, and you can always stand right by the stove for that extra warmth when coming in from outside. Though we try to avoid 'super' heating the house or having to open a window. We cut all our own wood, but as anyone who has ever processed wood can say, even getting it yourself, it's far from 'free' so we try to conserve it as much as possible.

The actual temperature has nothing to do with it. I burn until my wife says it's getting too hot, then I throttle back. If she says she's cold, I crank up the stove. It has to do with hot flashes, I'm sure. Rick

It also has to do with stove size. With the F3CB I could have the kitchen up to 75 and my wife would be cozy. With the Castine I could take the house up to 74 and it would be just right. But now when the big Alderlea has the house at 72, she thinks it's getting pretty warm inside. Go figure.

Oh well, looks like a big stove is actually going to help me save on wood. ;-)

If you are in a direct line of sight from the appliance, then part of what you feel is radiant heat directly from the stove. The comfort level you experience isn't all about the actual room air temperature. This is why they're called "space heaters", and why it's a different phenomenon from any sort of central heating system. Rick

I tend to like it cold. We used to keep the furnace set at 66, and if the woodstove takes us over 73 it feels overly warm to me. But as long as the bedroom stays cool, I'm happy... like to keep it 62 or under for best sleeping temps.

Once it drops below 70 in the house I get complaints that it's too cold. My family has been spoiled by wood heat, so the house stays in the mid 70's or sometimes higher if the fireplace is also burning along with the stove. It is kinda funny seeing friend's and family over sweating because their use to keeping their homes around 65.

Todd said:
Once it drops below 70 in the house I get complaints that it's too cold. My family has been spoiled by wood heat, so the house stays in the mid 70's or sometimes higher if the fireplace is also burning along with the stove. It is kinda funny seeing friend's and family over sweating because their use to keeping their homes around 65.

It is also funny that the same room temperature that is too warm in the summer is too cold in the winter. >:-(

Somewhere between 72-75 is comfortable for me. Like everyone else, I agree that it's nice to be able to keep the house warmer with wood. There's no way I'd keep the house that warm if heating with propane 24/7.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

It is also funny that the same room temperature that is too warm in the summer is too cold in the winter. >:-(

All of the above is so true!

72* to 74* is my happy spot and that's where I tend to try and keep it all year long.
Any colder than 70* is to cold for me.

I'm wood heat spoiled thanks to Brother Bart and the rest of you guys. %-P

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I think humidity plays a part but i also beleive it has more to do with what your body is acclimated to.

Since we have no visitors once the road is closed we like to go around in the buff. Our temps are around 76 but it does vary. If we have been skiing in -20F then we have to strip down before we enter the house or its instant sweats. Its nice to not wear much in the house as we often have to bundle up for the outdoors.

Somewhere between 72-75 is comfortable for me. Like everyone else, I agree that it's nice to be able to keep the house warmer with wood. There's no way I'd keep the house that warm if heating with natural gas 24/7.

I couldn't have said it better so I just edited to make it accurate for me.

Top is outside. Bottom is inside. Nice and toasty with the new T6.

Attachments

• 1018081900.jpg
    1018081900.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 442
fossil said:
The actual temperature has nothing to do with it. I burn until my wife says it's getting too hot, then I throttle back. If she says she's cold, I crank up the stove. It has to do with hot flashes, I'm sure. Rick

You make big joke, ha-ha! You can have no idea how miserable hot flashes make life. (If your wife is truly having them ,telll her to try some black cohosh, widely available in health food stores and on the Web.) Been there, done that. UGH.

I have to buy my wood c/d/s and manage it by myself, so I'm stingier with it than I would be otherwise. I guess if I had my ideals, I'd have the first floor at an even 70-72 for greatest comfort, but I'm happy to settle for 66-68 and don't mind in the least bundling up with sweaters, longjohns, thermal socks and the like. I vastly prefer cold for sleeping and used to crack the window even in most of winter when I lived with central heating I couldn't entirely control. In shoulder seasons like now, once it gets down to 60 inside, I've reached my limit and fire up the stove.

I guess my wife and I are on the far end of the spectrum. Even when oil was $1 per gallon, we never had our bedroom set higher than 55 degrees. Last year, we had the living areas set at 60 and the sleeping rooms at 55 (six zones total). We installed a Clydesdale insert this year, so I'll probably look to keep the living areas around 65...and higher when we have company. It's 37 out right now and we have the windows open in our bedroom.

I hate going to peoples houses when it is cold outside that do not burn because I hate being cold almost as much as I hate being hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.