what is your ideal setup for a new 2100 sqft home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dforster2

Mar 2, 2014
Oklahoma
We are in NE Oklahoma where it gets pretty cold. I will have a geothermal heat pump but I prefer to heat with wood and the wife loves to have a fire. If we have a wood stove instead of an insert like we had in our last house, she wants it to be an alcove installation so that does limit some of the choices.

But other than that what are some ideas of the ideal setup for a new construction 2100 sqft single story home? It is an open floor plan with no very high ceilings.

I am considering the Jotul f400 or f55 and the Alderlea t5 and some others that we like the looks of. I would like to be able to heat water or soups, etc. on top, but don't plan to cook full meals with it..

Is there any way to pull heat from the stove by putting return air ducts above it tied into the central heat system?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also interested in a similar question: the difference between having a free standing stove and a masonry heater, where you might have an insert placed not inside the masonry of a traditional fireplace, but instead into many more pounds of solid masonry to get the slow release of radiant heat over the next 12 to 24 hours. So I am also looking for your ideal setup for a 2100 sq ft home with an open floor plan, but want to know the pros and cons of including a masonry heater in the set of choices.

Seems to me from my reading that if we are not including masonry heaters, a medium to large wood burning stove would be best. I've looked at Morso inserts and stoves ever since my neighbor bought one and I see how quickly she gets a beautiful, heat producing fire out of it. Masonry heaters are supposed to be even more efficient, but if you burn a strong fire for 4 or 5 hours do they produce too much heat? Also, is the cost exponentially greater?

I am also interested in a similar question: the difference between having a free standing stove and a masonry heater, where you might have an insert placed not inside the masonry of a traditional fireplace, but instead into many more pounds of solid masonry to get the slow release of radiant heat over the next 12 to 24 hours. So I am also looking for your ideal setup for a 2100 sq ft home with an open floor plan, but want to know the pros and cons of including a masonry heater in the set of choices.

Seems to me from my reading that if we are not including masonry heaters, a medium to large wood burning stove would be best. I've looked at Morso inserts and stoves ever since my neighbor bought one and I see how quickly she gets a beautiful, heat producing fire out of it. Masonry heaters are supposed to be even more efficient, but if you burn a strong fire for 4 or 5 hours do they produce too much heat? Also, is the cost exponentially greater?
What is a masonry heater...I have a wood burning insert in a masonry fireplace, but am not familiar with the term masonry heater??

Yes masonry heaters cost allot more than a stove. And yes some can be more efficient but they are typically site designed and built so there is allot of variation there. they do work well when designed and built and run correctly. But honestly a stove will make much more sense economically unless you are going to do the masonry work yourself. Also a masonry heater is not just an insert placed in a large thermal mass there is much much more to it than that.

Reactions: Highbeam
With new construction, you have a great opportunity to think about the chimney. Ideally, it good to keep the chimney inside the building envelope as much as possible. Also minimize the amount of 45's and 90's for the pipe and chimney. These choices will help with draft and minimize creosote. Best of luck with your project.

Reactions: Squisher
Is there any way to pull heat from the stove by putting return air ducts above it tied into the central heat system?
That is not permitted by mechanical code. The return air duct is supposed to be at least 10 ft away from the stove. It shouldn't be necessary in a well designed, open floorplan that has a centrally located stove.

Reactions: dafattkidd
We are in NE Oklahoma where it gets pretty cold. I will have a geothermal heat pump but I prefer to heat with wood and the wife loves to have a fire. If we have a wood stove instead of an insert like we had in our last house, she wants it to be an alcove installation so that does limit some of the choices.

But other than that what are some ideas of the ideal setup for a new construction 2100 sqft single story home? It is an open floor plan with no very high ceilings.

I am considering the Jotul f400 or f55 and the Anderlea t5 and some others that we like the looks of. I would like to be able to heat water or soups, etc. on top, but don't plan to cook full meals with it..

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like this is a very exciting time. Having the opportunity to build your own home is an amazing gift. May this house be a blessing to you and your family.

The ideal situation in my opinion:

-Open floor plan
-Centrally located wood stove- ideally in the room where most of your time is spent, my preference is in a living room on a raised hearth
-Pay very close attention to the details when insulating. This will have the biggest impact on effective heating and cooling
-High rated windows and exterior doors that are properly installed and sealed
-A decent space for clean and attractive indoor wood storage I.E. a masonry alcove next to the stove, an extended hearth area, etc
-Decent yard space for wood storage. Ideally a well placed wood shed with easy access

Stove of your choice, centrally located, straight up double wall to the ceiling and straight through with class A. No offsets.

Reactions: Highbeam
I do not and would not want to store wood inside the house so no special allowance for that space.

No masonry chimney at all. You can make a nice brick and stone hearth but the old fashioned fireplace and chimneys are undesirable for performance. No inserts! A freestanding stove will offer superior efficiency and performance. The t5 is a great stove but on the small side for your application.

Reactions: Squisher
True, the T6 is the equivalent in size to the F55. Likewise the F400 is too small unless this is just for nights and weekend heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.