What is your ideal home temp during the heating season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:
The actual temperature has nothing to do with it. I burn until my wife says it's getting too hot, then I throttle back. If she says she's cold, I crank up the stove. It has to do with hot flashes, I'm sure. Rick

You make big joke, ha-ha! You can have no idea how miserable hot flashes make life. (If your wife is truly having them ,telll her to try some black cohosh, widely available in health food stores and on the Web.) Been there, done that. UGH.

I apologize if I sounded flippant about it. My wife & I were both born in 1948, so we're both living through some "stuff" together. Some of the "stuff" isn't a lot of fun, but the fact that we're still living through it is frequently made more fun by the fact that we still both have a sense of humor. Believe me, I'm very sympathetic. Rick

(BTW - what did you think of the Owl book?)

During this time of year, 73/74F downstairs is what is needed...come full on winter....sky is the limit. We've had it 80F downstairs and thought nuthin' bout it. Of course the new "pup" may have something to say about that. >:-(
'"

fossil said:
gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:
The actual temperature has nothing to do with it. I burn until my wife says it's getting too hot, then I throttle back. If she says she's cold, I crank up the stove. It has to do with hot flashes, I'm sure. Rick

You make big joke, ha-ha! You can have no idea how miserable hot flashes make life. (If your wife is truly having them ,telll her to try some black cohosh, widely available in health food stores and on the Web.) Been there, done that. UGH.

I apologize if I sounded flip about it. My wife & I were both born in 1948, so we're both living through some "stuff" together. Some of the "stuff" isn't a lot of fun, but the fact that we're still living through it is frequently made more fun by the fact that we still both have a sense of humor. Believe me, I'm very sympathetic. Rick

(BTW - what did you think of the Owl book?)

I readily forgive you. You're pretty clearly one of the Good Guys. "Hot flashes" are just kind of a sensitive topic, since a lot of guys like to make fun of t he idea, and a bad case of them are truly awful, awful, awful. I could go on, but this ain't the Women's Health Forum, thank God.

Are you kidding? I *adored* the owl book! The only down side is that it makes me green with envy.

For the record, 81F last night...76F as we speak. All with Elm scraps and a couple small bits of ash.

I'm trying not to overheat the house, since I see that as a waste of wood. I'm trying to keep the stove room below 80 if I can. Any higher than that and it really is beginning to approach ridiculous. My wife told me last night that she was chilly and wanted a fire. I said "are you kidding? Its 72 degrees in here!". Well, it turns out she wasin't kidding. By bedtime it was about 84.

I just want to keep the house comfortable. I'm trying not to stick too hard and fast to a specific temp. Heating with wood tends to come with wide temperature swings compared to using oil or gas.

-SF

author="SlyFerret" date="1224473127"]I'm trying not to overheat the house, since I see that as a waste of wood.

It is but that's why I think it best to burn scrub wood...what I call fall and spring wood at this time of year. I have my winter wood and don't touch it until sometime in November. Burning that wood right now would be a waste as it's good wood and not needed for fall temps. The stuff i'm burning now is purposely cut for only this time of year, ie, not adequate with my setup for burning during winter heating times.

I just want to keep the house comfortable. I'm trying not to stick too hard and fast to a specific temp.

That can be easier said than done this time of year. I just run the stove so it's running somewhat hot, if need be i'll open the screens on the storm doors to cool it off. It's a juggle this time of year between inside temps and cloggin' up the chimbly.

Rolling around 74 right now, heated all day since I got in from the run this morning. Was too cold from it, and wasn't going to not be warm. Cat and Dog (who was solid as a side hunting yesterday for opening day) were about 1' from the front just lounging. They have it almost as good as me.
Chad

House is 84 degrees last two days, Napolean 1402 insert, 2 bedroom ranch. too hot, but need to see when temp gets below 37 degrees which it has been here in pgh last two nights. New to insert after house fire from open fireplace.

I just started a fire a little over an hour ago and it is about 76 on the backside of the house where the insert is located. I'll load it up here in a few but it will still drop a couple of degrees by morning and be about 72-73 when I leave for work. I plan to keep it in the lower 70's all winter with 100% wood heat from an insert on the 1st floor and Englander 30 in the basement.

I keep putting wood in the stove until its get so hot in the house my wife has to take her clothes off ;)

I learned that from someone on these boards

We used to keep our tstat at 67 when we were home and hanging around the house, 64 at night or when werent home. Still spent $3800 on oil.

With the new wood furnace, we are averaging 75 or so... that seems to be the sweet spot. I can't wait for this winter, to be able to come in from plowing and put on my favorite shorts and lounge on the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.