What is your method of starting a fire? (Fireplace)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 22, 2018
NJ
Some people have sworn by the 'upside down fire' starting method, some others stick with the original method of log cabin, tepee... Some stick with newspapers rather than fire starters.

What is your tried and true method?

log cabin. big on the bottom, smaller on top. i rip newspaper into ribbons and twist them up, stuff into center and strike a match

Top down seems to work best for our insert but for regular fireplaces one just should practice a number of methods enough times to become handy with whatever is on hand and for a variety of situations.

Some people have sworn by the 'upside down fire' starting method, some others stick with the original method of log cabin, tepee... Some stick with newspapers rather than fire starters.

What is your tried and true method?

I had the same question last year and the overwhelming positive reviews for SuperCedars sold it for me. Bought a box and they are the best for starting a fire. 1/4 of a disc (many times smaller than that - 1/8 of disc) and get it under some small pine kindling and as Jackie Gleason used to say - "and away we go!".