What month do you usually start burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
I have to say it was the end of October last year. It's always the last week of October when my family starts complaining about how cold it is. And wants me to hit the heat pump. Last year though it was the insert I lit up.

Late october i used the stove but like on a super low. This year well see summer was pretty easy on us so im thinking we are gonna have another bad winter! Nights are getting colder like down to 50 But its 86 now :).

I usually get the bug early enough to light the first in early/mid October, by November I'll be burning 24/7 through spring
Delmarva

Last edited:
I've been starting a few small ones in the morning the last few days. We had a streak of a few days below freezing, but warmed up nicely in the afternoon.

We usually start burning in September with some fires in the evening or in the am. Mid to late October it's 24/7

Its usually around the last week of October here. Last year it was Halloween eve to warm up after a trick or treating temp that hovered around freezing. The furnace just wasn't taking the chill away.

Ive had three now and getting ready to fire it up again as the house is at 18! and the outside was highs of 10 c yesterday. September is when I start as we get frost and cool days when its cloudy.

Last two years, October 31

Our first fire is almost always within a day of Halloween.

My first of this season was a couple weeks a go when we were on an unusually cool streak. The last week has been unusually hot but the forecast for the next 2 weeks has our nighttime lows in the 30s and 40s°F so before the end of the month I'll probably be burning at lest one fire per day. This would put us right on schedule as our heating season normally starts in September.

Sometime in late october or early november depending on daytime temps. Usually every day by December. Then I go until April 1st when I shut all the heating off until next year.

I usually start in October, mostly evenings and early morning. I'll burn steady when daytime highs are less than 50. By November I'm almost on steady burn until April though I may have an occasional fire in May. Right now it's still hot here.

Last year it was October when I fired up the stove.

Pretty much the same here, maybe a sporadic fire in october if the temps are on the cooler side. Becoming more frequent by early to mid November. burning 24/7 by the end of Nov for sure

In Quebec we burn year round. LOL, JK!

Normally around the first part of November I fire mine up the first time.

Albeit we had some COLD weather in July this year (broke 120 records) and some people lit their stoves that week. Yuck!

Andrew

Reactions: colin.p
September or October.

Often a day or two in September then a week or two off then real burning starts in mid-October.

Oct normally.

Usually in September. As soon as the overnight temps drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Last year was September 13th., this year we actually turned on the gas furnace a few nights in August.

Generally we'll burn a few fires in October. I feel like I'm always disappointed in October- wishing I could burn more fires, but knowing the house would just get uncomfortably hot with a fire. But soon enough by mid November we are burning every day and my soul gains contentment.

Generally we'll burn a few fires in October. I feel like I'm always disappointed in October- wishing I could burn more fires, but knowing the house would just get uncomfortably hot with a fire. But soon enough by mid November we are burning every day and my soul gains contentment.
Trade houses with me! We COULD burn in October but I refuse to. LOL.

Andrew

Reactions: ole and dafattkidd
It is September and right now it is 92ºF outside. The A/C has been on non-stop for over a week. Even the overnight low only got down to 74 today. Ask again in another month and I might have a clue but usually the days are still quite warm on Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.