1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What product to use to seal around block off plate? (pics inside!)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ansky, May 10, 2013.

1. Ansky

Ansky Member

Loc:
    central CT
    I pulled my surround off to check the status of my block off plate and a lot of the sealant I used has cracked and crumbled off. I used both Fire Block and Funrnace Cement, and both cracked. I was thinking about using that Hi Temp silicone Gasket maker, but I wanted to check with you guys first. I thought that might be better because it is more pliable. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Stuff Roxul on top of the block off plate and around the liner as it goes through the block off plate.
  3. Ansky

Ansky Member

Loc:
    central CT
    Yes, I have lots of Roxul above the block off plate...Stuffed up as high as i could reach. I'm more concerned with what type of sealant to use where the block off plate meets the brick and the liner. And where the liner meets the stove.
  4. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I use mill-pac. My only issue is I have to reapply it after I clean my liner, the vibration makes it crack and fall off just like you show in your picture.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    How large a gap are you sealing? If under 1/2" try mil pac sealant?