What size chimney do you recommend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xtal_01

Dec 7, 2022
Vermont USA
Hey!

I am in the middle of building a new large workshop ... 4500 sq ft.

I got the trusses up and just hired a contractor to put a roof on it.

I want top put in a couple (2) of wood stoves. One in a small office and one in one of the three workshop bays.

This is a workshop ... it is heated by a standard forced air furnace. The wood stoves are just some supplemental heating ... a place to burn my wood scraps ... and I like having one (had one in each of my previous 3 shops).

I will most likely just pick up an old stove, not a new one. I think I may even still have a franklin fireplace in storage.

Question, not knowing what I will end up with, what size chimney do you put in?

I am looking for the cheapest double wall pipe I can find (not that any brand is cheap).

Chimney will be straight (no bends to save money) .... 16 to 20 ft long.

I was going to leave this to later but much better to put it in while the new shingles are going down.

My thinking was to use a 6" flue .... seems the most reasonable priced and most new wood stoves seem to use this from what I can see

Then I looked at an old franklin online ... it used a 8" flue.

I see lots of people who put 6" into 8" but none that downsized from 8 to 6

The problem is that I have no idea what stove I will l will put in.

Any suggestions on what size I should put in .... or is you can use a 6 for most applications (even putting an 8 into a 6)?

Thanks .... Mike

You can check out my workshop build on my facebook page Michael Csele FaceBook page or my YouTube channel Vermont Country Workshop on YouTube

6" is what most stoves take. Consider scrapping the old Franklin and getting something that will burn cleaner. Or maybe even consider a modern wood-burning furnace?

6" is what most stoves take. Consider scrapping the old Franklin and getting something that will burn cleaner. Or maybe even consider a modern wood-burning furnace?
Thanks. I don't mind scrapping the franklin ... I am hoping to find something with a brick lining (this is what I have always had). Someone always seems to be upgrading and I have been lucky to pick one up, usually for a few hundred dollars. This is only a workshop so looks don't really matter.

The office is small and I was going to look for a small parlor stove (growing up in Canada we called the Quebec heaters).

I was just afraid of putting too small of one in and then finding out most needed an 8 or 10 inch flue.

Thanks .... Mike

Just to clarify. You're shingling a brand new 4500sqft shop? And considering installing an ancient Franklin stove?

Just to clarify. You're shingling a brand new 4500sqft shop? And considering installing an ancient Franklin stove?
Long story but yes.

I have build this place on a very very tight budget.

I have put every nail in myself so far ... no help.

I built the house a few years ago .... 4800 sq ft ... $330K complete.

Even built an elevator for my wife how is in a wheelchair out of an old forklift mast ... $40K to buy one ... built it for $2K

I have even managed to keep my 36 year old F150 (that I paid $1000 including the plow) on the road for the past 10 years (not much to look at .. mostly fiberglass and body filler).

Check out the links on the bottom of the post ... it will show a 60 year old guy crawling out on rafters to nail in runners.

I am giving up on the roof ... 130 sheets of plywood and 130 bundles of shingles is even too much for me.

I will finish the interior myself.

Mike

Hey!

I am in the middle of building a new large workshop ... 4500 sq ft.

I got the trusses up and just hired a contractor to put a roof on it.

I want top put in a couple (2) of wood stoves. One in a small office and one in one of the three workshop bays.

This is a workshop ... it is heated by a standard forced air furnace. The wood stoves are just some supplemental heating ... a place to burn my wood scraps ... and I like having one (had one in each of my previous 3 shops).

I will most likely just pick up an old stove, not a new one. I think I may even still have a franklin fireplace in storage.

Question, not knowing what I will end up with, what size chimney do you put in?

I am looking for the cheapest double wall pipe I can find (not that any brand is cheap).

Chimney will be straight (no bends to save money) .... 16 to 20 ft long.

I was going to leave this to later but much better to put it in while the new shingles are going down.

My thinking was to use a 6" flue .... seems the most reasonable priced and most new wood stoves seem to use this from what I can see

Then I looked at an old franklin online ... it used a 8" flue.

I see lots of people who put 6" into 8" but none that downsized from 8 to 6

The problem is that I have no idea what stove I will l will put in.

Any suggestions on what size I should put in .... or is you can use a 6 for most applications (even putting an 8 into a 6)?

Thanks .... Mike

You can check out my workshop build on my facebook page Michael Csele FaceBook page or my YouTube channel Vermont Country Workshop on YouTube
My first question is what will this shop be used for?

I am a machinist by trade ... plus I love to tinker. I split the lower floor (about 3500 sq ft) into three sections (bays) and an office area.

The office area is small ... about 300 sq ft. Just a place for my desk, computer, books ... I am thinking a small parlor stove here just to "take the chill off"

The bays are just over 1000 sq ft each. Once is storage ... no use a stove there ... one a general bay (be it wood working ... working on my truck or ??) ... and a machine shop bay. The machine shop bay is where I want the stove. Again, I will have a real furnace in the place. This is just something to burn my scrap .... take the chill off ... give that cozy feel (just grew up always having a wood stove and love it).

This is why I am not planning on a new stove ... there are dozens for sale on Facebook and Craigslist .. $200 - $600

Not knowing what I will find, my fear was putting in too small a flue

Mike

My understanding is that the shop stove will be mostly for burning scrap and not for heat, correct? If so 6" will suffice. If you want to put in an 8" chimney and reduce it down to 6" for the stovepipe, that's ok too if the stove flue size is 6". Old smoke dragons were not as particular but if buying used you can be a bit particular and get one that is 6", has firebrick and a baffle. The office will probably be the opposite extreme of even a small stove being too big. Definitely 6" there.

I just check craigslist for Rutland, VT woodstoves and was not impressed with the current selection. You have time so be patient and try to get something solid and decent like a Upland, Big Moe, Fisher, etc. in spring or next summer.

I am a machinist by trade ... plus I love to tinker. I split the lower floor (about 3500 sq ft) into three sections (bays) and an office area.

The office area is small ... about 300 sq ft. Just a place for my desk, computer, books ... I am thinking a small parlor stove here just to "take the chill off"

The bays are just over 1000 sq ft each. Once is storage ... no use a stove there ... one a general bay (be it wood working ... working on my truck or ??) ... and a machine shop bay. The machine shop bay is where I want the stove. Again, I will have a real furnace in the place. This is just something to burn my scrap .... take the chill off ... give that cozy feel (just grew up always having a wood stove and love it).

This is why I am not planning on a new stove ... there are dozens for sale on Facebook and Craigslist .. $200 - $600

Not knowing what I will find, my fear was putting in too small a flue

Mike
You do realize that woodstoves are not allowed by code in any garages in the USA or any place where gasoline or other flammable vapors are present.

This means if anything ever goes wrong the chances of insurance covering the claim aren't very good

It will be in the machine shop bay ... separate from the other bays (I have three distinct bays with walls and doors between them. I don't even know if it would ever have a car in it ... unless I am rebuilding an engine or something.

And the one in the office will be separate from all other areas.

Mike

It will be in the machine shop bay ... separate from the other bays (I have three distinct bays with walls and doors between them. I don't even know if it would ever have a car in it ... unless I am rebuilding an engine or something.

And the one in the office will be separate from all other areas.

Mike
Yes in the office is perfectly fine the machine shop maybe

Reactions: xtal_01