What size do I look for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
My manual lists the I.D. of the gaskets. What size do I look for at the store? I really don't want to spend a lot of $$ special ordering these. Thanks.

Gasket list for the Jøtul F 3

Description Size
Top plate gasket 3/8” ld
Ash door gasket 1/4” ld
Glass gasket 1/4” ld
Door gasket 11/32” ld

Those are all standard sizes and a stove shop will have rolls of it that they sell by the foot.

tutu_sue said:
My manual lists the I.D. of the gaskets. What size do I look for at the store? I really don't want to spend a lot of $$ special ordering these. Thanks.

Gasket list for the Jøtul F 3

Description Size
Top plate gasket 3/8” ld
Ash door gasket 1/4” ld
Glass gasket 1/4” ld
Door gasket 11/32” ld
Hey,Sue BB said it all. Where in Nj are I lived in Dumont for about and 11 years and then
Closter nj for 12 my sister still lives in the house in closter.

I live in Bloomingdale. I know exactly where Dumont and Closter are. Nice towns. Where do you live in Rockland? My hubby's aunt lives in Highland Mills near the West Point proving grounds.

Yeah, I've seen the standard sizes in the store, but they are using the outer diameter and my manual lists the inner diameter. Is there a big difference in ID vs. OD? I have no clue. I have never seen 11/32 gasket - oye, I'm getting a headache...

tutu_sue said:
I live in Bloomingdale. I know exactly where Dumont and Closter are. Nice towns. Where do you live in Rockland? My hubby's aunt lives in Highland Mills near the West Point proving grounds.

Yeah, I've seen the standard sizes in the store, but they are using the outer diameter and my manual lists the inner diameter. Is there a big difference in ID vs. OD? I have no clue. I have never seen 11/32 gasket - oye, I'm getting a headache...

The manual lists ld which is LD not ID. A Europe thing. It is the outside diameter.

I think I see your confusion, Sue... what you may be looking at in the manual is probably listing the Indide Diameter of the "channel" the gasket sits in.... so that is the size you want..... the gaskets, as they are sold, list as outside diameter (which is their size.

In other words.... a 1/4" OD gasket "fits" into a 1/4" ID "grove"

I'm not sure if that was what the question really was or not - hope that helps.

LD stands for largest diameter.

BrotherBart said:
LD stands for largest diameter.

Sorry - missed that - Thought it was an "I" not an "L" In any event, I'd just go with the size of the gasket listed and sold, regardless of how it's listed - most hardware stores will likely carry some in various sizes, and it's pretty cheap.... you can then just size it up against the old one to see if you are off base or not.

Thank you guys for clearing that up for me. I know the difference between l and I and l and L I swear I do! :) They should have used Times New Roman! LD = Largest diameter. I'll never forget that. I will be sure to find a site with European/Metric engineering symbols/standards and get learned on that. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.