What size trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
webie said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Hmm....appears that you can only haul wood with big trailers and trucks. :lol:

Just throwing out another opinion. I had the big tandem car hauler trailer. Got rid of it. For wood hauling in MY situation it was too big to get into some of the places that I cut. The second reason I got rid of it is because it hauled more crap for other people than it did my own.

I replaced that trailer with a 5 x10ft (If I were to do it again it would be a 6 x 10) with a 3500 pound axle and have never turned back wishing I still had the big boy (heck, that thing was a superwide 20ft unhandy beast).

Between truck and trailer I can easily haul a cord of wood from the bush (and often it is a bit more). 1 cord being dropped, bucked and loaded is my limit now anyhow. I simply don't want to do any more than that.

I am with you jags after filling a trailer that size I am ready to go home split and stack it and call it a day....Iam not going to keep bringing in big loads to set in my yard till I can get to it anymore! 72hrs. spliting last week and still spliting this week.
(we brought in many triaxle loads last year)

I know you guys have your own way of produceing your firewood but I found it way more to my advantage to fell ,buck and split my wood before it goes on the trailer . Once I get home it goes right from the trailer to the pile , all done . I ussually plan a load a day Unless I have help . A load gets me between 1.25 and 1.5 cord .

I don't typically split on site. I wait till I get it home so that I can do that at my leisure. Thats also why the trailer has that nifty drop down gate. I can roll the big boys right up the ramp.

Jags said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Just throwing out another opinion. I had the big tandem car hauler trailer. Got rid of it. For wood hauling in MY situation it was too big to get into some of the places that I cut. The second reason I got rid of it is because it hauled more crap for other people than it did my own.

I replaced that trailer with a 5 x10ft (If I were to do it again it would be a 6 x 10) with a 3500 pound axle and have never turned back wishing I still had the big boy (heck, that thing was a superwide 20ft unhandy beast).

Between truck and trailer I can easily haul a cord of wood from the bush (and often it is a bit more). 1 cord being dropped, bucked and loaded is my limit now anyhow. I simply don't want to do any more than that.

I am with you jags after filling a trailer that size I am ready to go home split and stack it and call it a day....Iam not going to keep bringing in big loads to set in my yard till I can get to it anymore! 72hrs. spliting last week and still spliting this week.

I have done that as well but i put a 2in. ball on the back of the trailer and only going to bring in splits and stack that way I am handling it less.

I know you guys have your own way of produceing your firewood but I found it way more to my advantage to fell ,buck and split my wood before it goes on the trailer . Once I get home it goes right from the trailer to the pile , all done . I ussually plan a load a day Unless I have help . A load gets me between 1.25 and 1.5 cord .

I don't typically split on site. I wait till I get it home so that I can do that at my leisure. Thats also why the trailer has that nifty drop down gate. I can roll the big boys right up the ramp.

Jags said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I just use the log lift on the splitter than pick up off the delivery table the nice small split pieces and toss them on the trailer and leave all the chaf behind .

Which reminds me Do you think an old bail elevator would work for loading the splits , I have aline on a working one for 200.00?

webie said:
Jags said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I just use the log lift on the splitter than pick up off the delivery table the nice small split pieces and toss them on the trailer .

which reminds me Do you think an old bail elevator would work for loading the splits , I have aline on a working one for 200.00?

Heck Yeaaa!

I will digress a little thought. Turns out that I will be doing some splitting on site this weekend. Helping a buddy with a HUGE white oak. Gotta drop, buck, and am gonna split the giant ones on site. His tractor won't hardly move them, and I figure that as long as I can roll it to the log lift, I will give 'er a whack right there. Probably looking at about 50" DBH rounds. I will try and get some pics, but I often forget to once I get into the "zone"

Hi -

I bet an old elevator would work fine. We sure poured the ear corn to them and filled cribs fast. Don't forget to lube'er up... Keeps 'em happy!

Mike

Jags said:
I will digress a little thought. Turns out that I will be doing some splitting on site this weekend. Helping a buddy with a HUGE white oak. Gotta drop, buck, and am gonna split the giant ones on site. His tractor won't hardly move them, and I figure that as long as I can roll it to the log lift, I will give 'er a whack right there. Probably looking at about 50" DBH rounds. I will try and get some pics, but I often forget to once I get into the "zone"

holly smokin batman what saw going to be on site!

I do not often split on site and in fact a couple of places I get wood saws and splitters can only be used by county employees. I just pick up the wood and bring it home. I also roll big ones but my trailer is a low one so if the round is 18" or so or larger I can roll it up to the trailer and then tilt it onto the edge and flip it on. This works quite well and I can get some really big stuff loaded by myself.
I don't know that I would want a 20' trailer but the 15 serves me well and it can fit my 4wheeler and a small trailer so I have brought and used that to go into the woods and haul out wood to put on the big trailer. Since I use a van to pull the trailer it's not like I can do much off-roading to get wood but I can see with a 4wd truck and a smaller trailer you could get further back in the woods and save some handling. I have a 6x8 trailer I could do that with but it sure is easy for me to overload the thing I think it has a 2000 or 2200 lb axle and fairly small tires.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

The drop will happen by a hired pro. It is next to power lines - I ain't gonna do it. The old boy that is dropping it has the choice of a 660 or an 880 - don't know which he will bring. Of course my 361 will be doing backup as soon as the 25" bar makes sense.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

The drop will happen by a hired pro. It is next to power lines - I ain't gonna do it. The old boy that is dropping it has the choice of a 660 or an 880 - don't know which he will bring. Of course my 361 will be doing backup as soon as the 25" bar makes sense.

bucking that trunk 880 be my choice please get some videos of this one it just doesnt happen very offten. 25in. on a 361 and in oak going to be tuff gig. I'd run the 20 in. that would do easy 36inchs of wood should make a great limbing saw for that tree.

smokin said:
Jags said:
smokin said:
Jags said:

bucking that trunk 880 be my choice please get some videos of this one it just doesnt happen very offten. 25in. on a 361 and in oak going to be tuff gig. I'd run the 20 in. that would do easy 36inchs of wood should make a great limbing saw for that tree.

Video ain't gonna happen. I don't have a way. My little camera won't take very long ones. I have run the 25" on the 361 stuck in oak many - o - times. Its not perfect, but with a razor sharp chain she will do the work.

To the OP - sorry for the thread hi-jack. I will try to steer this back your way.

Just to re-enforce - depending on other uses and your method of wood collection, don't be convinced that a large trailer is the only way to go. For some it is, for some it isn't. Think about what you plan on actually DOING with it. Also think storage, plate costs, maneuverability, tow vehicle, etc.

Story of my redneck trailer........A couple years ago I bought an old fold down (pop-up) camper trailer. No top, just the box. Box size is 7' wide by 10' long. Didn't know what I was going to do with it but couldn't pass it up for $50. It sat for a few months, then I made it into a camper. Bought a $40 tent that fits on top of box, cut out the floor of tent and presto, I had a new top. Only use the camper once a year for the 4-day Iola Car Show in Iola, WI. and after that I take the tent off and it becomes my utility trailer. I recently built a garage and hauled all the materials in the trailer (everything but the trusses). Even hauled 60 rolls of sod with it last year.

This past winter it became my wood hauler. In volume it can only hold a face cord and I hauled 12 face cords with it. I get my wood (20" slab boards and block) from a saw mill. $35 a face cord (hardwood). About a 30 mile round trip, and pull trailer with my Dodge van. Would like to have a pickup and a car trailer but if I use it just for wood the $$$$$ vs use wouldn't add up, imo.

Last summer I even had the occasion to haul a large wedding arch, which I built, in the trailer (because of it's 7' width) to the local Holiday Inn, for my son's wedding. I get ribbed about the trailer sometimes, but I always say "best $50 trailer I ever bought".

I have a 3500 lb trailer, single axle. (not big enough) Theoretically it won't haul a cord due to the weight of a cord of green wood.
A cord of birch, green is 5,000 - 5,500
I do it & drive slow & the trailer don't look loaded but it's heavy & springs are bottomed out.
If I had it to do again, I'd buy a duel axle 7- 9,000 lb rating with electric brakes. They pull better, can load allot of wood per trip.
Can load longer lengths if needed & it will haul lots of stuff if going on a hunting trip or need to haul 12" sheetrock etc.
less weight on the trailer hitch if you load over the twin axles. You can still load the truck full & not have your head lights point to the moon.
Just load to where you have 3-400 lbs of tongue weight, it will pull fine.

Down side is it will take a good days work for 1 guy to make a full load. :) LOL
Up side, you get tired before you overload it & get a good sized load & safe trip home.

7,000lb twin axle, brakes all around 12ft landscape trailer with 3ft sides here. They are a little spindly compared to a car hauler, but as others have said, a cord or so of wood is enough for me at one time. If it's loaded about 2ft high, that gives me about a cord.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.