what stove is better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roller

Sep 13, 2009
birdsboro pa
looking at 2 stoves what one is better a Century 75,000 btu epa certified $899.00 or a Drolet 55.000 btu epa certified $749.00 iam heating a bi-level about 1600 sq ft

roller said:
looking at 2 stoves what one is better a Century 75,000 btu epa certified $899.00 or a Drolet 55.000 btu epa certified $749.00 iam heating a bi-level about 1600 sq ft

i'd want the one with more btu 1600 sq ft the 75,000btu please

BTU numbers can be deceiving. Look at the stoves fire box sizes, bigger fire box equals more BTU output.

Yep, the firebox is a better determiner...Go big, or go home as they say... I heat an older home with a 2.3cu ft firebox and 75000btus.

Todd said:
BTU numbers can be deceiving. Look at the stoves fire box sizes, bigger fire box equals more BTU output.

and more btu = bigger fire box

I think as far as "quality" is concerned, Century and Drolet are pretty close to even. Just remember: It's a "get what you pay for world" in the hearth industry (for the most part). If you buy a $500 wood stove, your probably going to get a $500 wood stove. make sure to ask if those stoves qualify for the $1500 tax credit. If not, you would most likely be money ahead to spend another $500 and save 30% on the total price INCLUDING installation and neccsary accessories !!

An Englander for damn near the same price. 3.5 cf firebox. Made in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.