What temperature do you burn at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it today and I need to tinker a lot more. I could only get her up to 600F, I only used 4 large cherry. That's OK though I had nice secondaries for a while. Practice makes perfect :coolsmile:

By the way the smell is getting less :bug:

JFK said:
I tried it today and I need to tinker a lot more. I could only get her up to 600F, I only used 4 large cherry. That's OK though I had nice secondaries for a while. Practice makes perfect :coolsmile:

Congrats on the smell issue.
After you have a nice bed of hot coals, and the temp is above 400, try adding a layer of larges in bottom, then line the top of those with mediums & smalls.
If you load her up with all mediums, if they are dry, you should damn well achieve 700. You can try it.
Larges are more for overnight burns, but I have been loading 3x a day. Fill upon awakening in the morn, then again at 4-5pm, then again anywhere from 11pm to 1 am. Thats cause my sleeping schedule has been fubar'd for many years now. But equals out to about every 8 hrs. Now above 20 esp if in 30's and 40's, I load a full in the morning, then another full load at bedtime. Always plenty of coals when reload time comes. You'll figure what works for you. Trust me, this time next year you'll be loading that stove in your sleep. ;)

Hogwildz said:
JFK said:

After you have a nice bed of hot coals, and the temp is above 400, try adding a layer of larges in bottom, then line the top of those with mediums & smalls.
If you load her up with all mediums, if they are dry, you should damn well achieve 700. You can try it.
Larges are more for overnight burns, but I have been loading 3x a day. Fill upon awakening in the morn, then again at 4-5pm, then again anywhere from 11pm to 1 am. Thats cause my sleeping schedule has been fubar'd for many years now. But equals out to about every 8 hrs. Now above 20 esp if in 30's and 40's, I load a full in the morning, then another full load at bedtime. Always plenty of coals when reload time comes. You'll figure what works for you. Trust me, this time next year you'll be loading that stove in your sleep. ;)

Hogz I did not take a lot of time reading tonight but a quick scan of the post you had higher temps than the other folks?? I had a problem with the same style Thermometer your using, it showed 100* hotter than what the stove really was and then it finally broke. I'm now running a couple of Condors.

Mandoo said:
Hogwildz said:
JFK said:

Hogz I did not take a lot of time reading tonight but a quick scan of the post you had higher temps than the other folks?? I had a problem with the same style Thermometer your using, it showed 100* hotter than what the stove really was and then it finally broke. I'm now running a couple of Condors.
Many folks run at same or similar temps as myself. I use 2 thermometers, always a back up that way. Pretty much read the same, unless one side gets blazing faster than the other. But even then, eventually the firebox evens out. Thermometers are a reference point. Once you know your stove well, you can tell by smell, sight, and the heat output at the time to know what its doing and how well its doing.

Good to hear your's is working. Like I said I read over the thread real quick and wanted to throw my experience in there before the thread got away from me. I hear you about knowing your stove and knowing how hot it is just from experience. I find myself still looking at my thermometers but kind of already know when it's time to tend to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.