What to do for auxiliary heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken45 said:
Don,

You didn't mention WHY you want backup heat. In case of a power outage? In case of extreme cold? Or for when you are away for the weekend or are too sick to tend the fire?

Offering an answer depends on how you answer those questions. Obviously oil or electric won't work for a power outage. Neither will a pellet stove.

Ken

Ken,
I'm looking for auxillary heat for one purpose:
To supplement the stove during the coldest months when I need a bit more output, and also to get a little heat over to the far side of the house. Last winter I paid $350 for a load of logs, enough for the majority of my heat, and $1200 to heat a basement room with oil.

We rarely lose electric power here, so while a passive system would be handy, it's not all that important.

In another post, I put up a spreadsheet doing a cost comparison of various heat sources. Surprisingly, BTU-wise, coal is the least expensive source next to wood. Considering that a coal stove may be less work to maintain, I'm going to give that some thought, especially since a coal stove could also run with wood if needed.

I'm also looking at adding a backup electric water heater since my oil boiler is required for hot water backup when the solar panel isn't producing hot water.
Dan

I'm not surprised that coal is an economical alternative but I don't think it's available around here unless I raid a barge doing down the river, or one of the power plants ;-)

I do think coal is harder to get started than wood, at least from what I remember when I was a youngster. I remember my mom shoveling coal into the coal bin (and dropping a large chunk on her toe!)

Ken

As per earlier threads and advice, coal is a 24/7 fuel, and only those with a supply of hard coal (PA Anthracite) should consider such a stove. This coal is distributed from Va. up to Maine and as fas west as Mich., but a potential user must make certain of supply before jumping in.

Check with Blashak or Reading Coal - two well known suppliers.

Good point from dvell about the most important thing being lowering the heat load of the space to be heated! That turns out to be the best financial decisions as well as the "greenest" in the long run. Every type of space heater can be a savings...even electric and LP....if used properly for "spot" purposes in a well insulated area. We often use our oil-filled radiator in the small den (tv room) while the remainder of the house stays at 60. Even during the cold days of winter, our gas furnace will barely ever turn on to keep the house at 60 (house built to modern standards).

I remember Sharper Image sold an air conditioner which fit around your neck in a collar! I guess sooner or later we will have the heating equivalent - now that is real space heat....just heat yourself and a few inches around you!

Yes, a personal portable microwave would keep you nice and toasty, though perhaps a little excited.

Imagine the cancer concerns with a microwave heater tied around the neck :coolcheese:

Jerry_NJ said:
Imagine the cancer concerns with a microwave heater tied around the neck :coolcheese:

Better than around your waist! :coolgrin:

BeGreen said:
Yes, a personal portable microwave would keep you nice and toasty, though perhaps a little excited.

Someone a few years back was suggesting this as a form of "radiant" heat for rooms. It was basically a low power magnetron that flooded a room with low intensity microwaves. There wasn't any proof that it caused cancer, but I don't think anyone wanted to be the guinea pig for his invention.

Chris

I think I'll pass on that one for now...y'all must have read about the brain surgeons and rockets scientists who, over the years, have tried everything from drying their wet cats to warming up their cold babies in the microwave oven. I think by the time you felt warm on the outside it would be too late for your inside. Rick

I think they were only proposing 100-200 watts spread out across a whole room rather than the 600-1000 watts in an oven. I have known electronics technicians that have been exposed to lots of RF energy over the years without any real problems. I thought it sounded like a good idea, but never saw any followup research. Since we still can't settle the cell phone radiation issue, I doubt it will ever catch on...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.