What to do with a Non-EPA Verified Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ConnorEL

Nov 21, 2021
New Jersey USA
So I have a very old wood stove (made in about 1983) that is not EPA certified. It's currently not installed in a house. Just been sitting since about 1992. I was wondering if I allowed to use it?

That depends on the local jurisdiction and the condition of the stove. New or old, it needs to be installed safely.

Reactions: ConnorEL
Last edited:
So I have a very old wood stove (made in about 1983) that is not EPA certified. It's currently not installed in a house. Just been sitting since about 1992. I was wondering if I allowed to use it?
UL Listing is what determines if it is legal to install. EPA is smoke regulations, which you don’t have. Those regulations come into play for manufacturers and dealers selling new stoves.

Notice I used the word install. If a stove is already installed with or without a UL label, it can be used. Building codes are adopted by most states. Most have adopted the International Family of Codes which states in the mechanical code, all appliances being installed must be UL approved with label affixed. That will be a tag stating it was tested to UL # ........... which is the national testing standard done by many labs.

Installation must adhere to NFPA 211 and your state and local building code.

Reactions: Lizzinator
am I legally allowed to install it tho? I read on the internet that you can remove a non-EPA stove but can not install it?
In Virginia, you can install an old stove yourself. Chimney inspection + cleaning/repair recommended. We are doing it ourselves with an '81. The guys on these boards have been super helpful with advice. But our local chimney sweeps were the ones who recommended we get one and got us started on our old woodstove journey. They told us what size/type to look for that would match our chimney setup, and what materials (liner) we would need to make it safe, and helped us repair our chimney 1st. If your'e not sure, get a local sweep to inspect for you. Around here it's about $100-120 for them to come out. They also will know ordinances.

Stoves without UL labeling can be legally installed in some jurisdictions as long as they follow NFPA 211 guidelines. In these cases it's always recommended to get insurance company approval in writing first and to have the installation inspected and signed off by the local authority.

Reactions: SpaceBus