What type of Birch is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
Please tell me I scored Black aka Sweet Birch.

birch.jpg

Last edited:
sure looks like it, might be a little rotted though

It is rotten birch. Please don't waste your time.

Put ti in a 55 gallon plastic trash can. Add 1 gallon water and put the lid on. In one year's time it will be wood pulp, and will make great newspaper.

May have been black birch at some point.

Bummer. oh well. There's a newly down Red Maple right next to it, so I'll take that instead.
Little late on the reply but TBH, I found a standing dead black birch that looked a lot like that one. A little punky on the ends but a very hard and dry center. Went straight into the insert the same day and burned great. Yours looks like it is lying on the ground though so could be different result...

Looks like black birch to me but it seems there also may be a small to mod chance of it being cherry if theres any pieces that are not that punky and is pretty heavy then should black birch if its fairl light then u got cherry

Make a few cuts.. I had similar thing were a dead ash snapped and took a dead standing Birch with it. A lot of the birch was too far gone, but some was good. The limb wood was very solid. Just finished splitting and stacking that.

Reactions: patrickk222
Black birch. Great wood but rots quick, like what’s in your picture.

So I ended up splitting it all. About 1/2 of it is kinda gone, but there were some very hard pieces in there. Once they get down to proper moisture content, I'll be curious to see how they burn.

Reactions: patrickk222