what type of wood do you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'll just list what I have in the wood stacks in order of most to least right now.

Locust (black and honey) 10+ cords
Oak (white and red) 7 cords
Hedge 3 1/2 cords
Hard maple 2 1/2 cords
Poplar 2 cords
Ash 1 cord

CountryBoy19 said:
Well, I'll just list what I have in the wood stacks in order of most to least right now.

Hedge 3 1/2 cords
Hard maple 2 1/2 cords
Poplar 2 cords
Ash 1 cord

Countryboy, What are you burning all that wood in? That's an amazing ensemble of wood.

I mostly burn a species known as "ligna nullum crimen."

Mostly white pine and red/white oak in the house. In the kiln I burn about a cord of "softwood" and a cord of "hardwood" delivered as slabs at a time. Hardwood is mixed oak, maple, ash, hickory, etc

The stove seems to love white oak. I have been burning silver maple, oak , ash and elm. I dont like burning elm or ash , elm dosn't seem to burn well and ash burns like pine.

This years 80% oak (mostly red), with some mixed in cherry,black locust, and ash. Next year 75% ash, 25%oak, 25% black locust.......and feeling blessed to have such BTU's in the yard. :)

DaFattKidd said:
CountryBoy19 said:

Hedge 3 1/2 cords
Hard maple 2 1/2 cords
Poplar 2 cords
Ash 1 cord

Countryboy, What are you burning all that wood in? That's an amazing ensemble of wood.

That's a several year supply. My goal is to get enough wood now so that when my wife and I have children I can spend more time at home with them rather than cutting and splitting wood so often.

That's what the locust and hedge are for (rot resistant wood for long term storage).

Oak, I just dont think you can beat it. minus the length to season, you'll never be more satisfied.
Then again I would burn almost anything I could get my hands on.

But Oak

CountryBoy19 said:

Hedge 3 1/2 cords
Hard maple 2 1/2 cords
Poplar 2 cords
Ash 1 cord

This is like a woodburner's Christmas wish list. "Dear Santa, I have been a good scrounger, and for Christmas I want 3 1/2 cords of hedge..."

Burntime, I see you burn boxelder, i have gotten access to quite a bit of this and was wondering how it has burned for you?
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.