What's good to cover two rows of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I'm looking for some durable roll material around 6 feet wide to cover double-rows of firewood. Been using the rock-covered roofing material for single row (which is great), but as far as I know it doesn't come in wider than 4' (does it?) Neighbor had some sheets of 1/8" or 3/16 black rubber from somewhere, but I dunno where to get that, it seemed good.

Not interested in tarps.

Thanks!

Dean

Two more rows of wood!!!

what about cutting down the tyvek found at lumber yards that is used to cover wood, They throw them away with each new lift received.

maybe its time to build a plywood roof over the pile and cover the roof? a canopy thingy

I second the lumber wrap idea. That stuff works great, and it's usually black on the inside.

Having said that, it's hard to imagine an application where a big, blue tarp wouldn't be the most tasteful option.

Dean, what is your mailing address?.....I'll send you a couple pairs of the wife's knicker's.

The lumber wrap might be the cheapest option, and free is always good :coolgrin: However if you are looking at other approaches, I would suggest going for the HF SILVER tarps instead of blue ones. HF sells their heaviest duty silver tarps for less than many of the local stores sell the blue ones. I've tried both, and the silver tarps cost more, but are 3-4 times heavier duty than the blue jobs, IMHO well worth the money. I also think the silver tarps look better and are much less of an eyesore - they aren't cammo, but they do resemble colors found in nature :lol:

Another possibility and sounds like might be what Dean's neighboor has is the EDPM rubber sheeting that they use for making flat roofs, and I think lining some varieties of waterscaping ponds and the like. I've heard that you can get "remnants" of the sheeting for free or short money from places that do flat roofs.

I would also agree with Elk's suggestion of considering a roof structure, I find having a woodshed (8' x 16', holds five rows of 18" long splits, ~5 cords) very convenient, and saves futzing with covers. However, I wouldn't make the roof out of plywood. Instead I'd use that corrugated plastic "PAL" roofing, it is less expensive, and if you get the clear stuff lets more light in and gives you some level of solar gain to dry the wood faster.

Gooserider

Eric Johnson said:
I second the lumber wrap idea. That stuff works great, and it's usually black on the inside.

Having said that, it's hard to imagine an application where a big, blue tarp wouldn't be the most tasteful option.
Eric, you belong much further downeast, perhaps a couple of old appliances and a rusted out 72 GM product or two with an axle missing but good cinder blocks under it. Talk about tasteful.. :coolsmile:

I agree with Goose, nice 8 by 16 shed is the way to go! I'm halfway through one now with pallets as the floors and walls. Because its right by my driveway for easy access and near our house, I'm putting pine claps and a shingled roof on it but if you didn't need it to look so polished, you could make it with just pallets and a few 8' 2x4's. Pics of my "project" to follow soon. In my case, the finnished one by the house stores the dried, ready to burn wood, and I'm putting up a pallet shed or two in my woods and processing area for drying stuff before it moves to the upscale shed by the driveway.

It's like Tim Sample says: "In Maine, if you cover it with a blue tarp, it disappears!"

Another good one is: "If you could buy a bus ticket with food stamps, there wouldn't be anyone left in (the town of your choice)."

I have the silver/brown tarps they sell at Home Depot. I prefer the brown side.

Go with the rubber roofing material. Even if you have to but it....it last Forever....comes 10' wide and has enough weight to not blow around and ake noise with every breeze. I have been using it to cover my wood for years and the same pieces are still with me.
Mike
P.S. It holds paint well if painted with acrilc paint

It's about 35 cents per square foot if you buy it in sheets. Google "EDPM pond liners" for the best prices. I bought a couple of sheets to line my hot water storage tank. Guys have remnants for sale on Ebay for less.

Eric Johnson said:
It's like Tim Sample says: "In Maine, if you cover it with a blue tarp, it disappears!"

Another good one is: "If you could buy a bus ticket with food stamps, there wouldn't be anyone left in (the town of your choice)."

I have the silver/brown tarps they sell at Home Depot. I prefer the brown side.
I have a 12 by 16' HD silver and brown tarp that has been my main source of protection (I'm married and older now) for any hard wood I'm currently working on. Very strong. long lasting, and the brown kinda blends in to the landscape.

Oh, too bad you weren't with me a couple weekends ago DeanB. I was poking around at a yard sale and the guy was selling an old army tent. It was made of super heavy canvas. I almost bought it, but I have other plans for wood storage.

Speaking about roofs, I once saw a garden shed roof that was all rusty with a really neat shingled look to it. Upon closer inspection the shingles were made of old tin cans of various sizes that were cut, then flattened out. It looked very cool and rustic. The builder had even used the round ends for the gables, which also looked great. One or two trips to the recycling center would probably yield enough cans for a small roof.

-Kevin

I hear your question. I have a row of wood, actually a two row deep stack that is 60 feet long. Two rows of 16" wood pus slop gets me about 3 feet of width. I chose to buy a 100' long by 10' wide sheet of plastic from the HD. It is the plain black plastic that you use under a house as a vapor barrier available in 4 and 6 mil thicknesses. I decided on 4 mil since the price went up a lot for 6 and since the 4 mil felt thick enough. I rolled the sheet out and folded it in half for a 5' wide by 100' long tarp and laid it on top of the stack. I flipped the excess 40 feet over the top to allow pile expansion should I stuble upon free wood. Weighted down with waste chunks of wood and rocks, soon to be string. My woodstack sits on pallets and the long skinny row is to promote rapid drying. If I put all of that wood in a cube, or a square woodshed, it wouldn't dry for a few years. I suppose I could move the wood to a shed once dry this fall. Already seeing great cracking and color change in the wood.

The rubber roofing material holds gromets well too......just double up the places where you want (need) tie downs and install the gromets. A kit for the gromets can be bought at most hardware stores.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.