What's in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
About:
6-ish cord if pine
3-ish cord of white oak
1-ish cord if cherry
1-ish cord of poplar
All c/s/s this year.

6-ish cord of mix
Birch, maple, beech, ash, oak, locust, poplar, and occasional pieces of assorted other woods like cherry, hickory, & apple.

Cold out tonight so the Buck is getting a pretty good workout...performing like a champ. 22 degrees outside now...79 degrees in den with the stove, & 64 degrees by the bedrooms on the far side of the house. Nice...

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Do you burn sassafras regularly? I have tons of it growing around an old horse pasture that I plan to drop down but I thought it was junk...was going to reserve it for summer outdoor burns.

I've burned maybe 3 of them (12" DBH) in five years. Not oak or ash, but def better than poplar or softwoods. One of the more pleasant smelling woods I know. Comes out of the stacks after three years as clean as it went in, unlike many others.

Forgot to include:
mice (nest of grass and this fall plastic tarp), squirrels (found their cache of chinkapin acorns layered in the stacks as I brought in first batch of wood this fall), and chipmunks.
Also, lots of Troglodytes (wren). Its seems a great way to attract wrens is to lay out a few cord of wood stacks (plus a few wren houses). During spring & summer they are constantly popping in and out of the stacks checking for insects.
Since we started burning and creating wood stacks we really noticed population of these species increase in our yard.

Forgot to include:
mice (nest of grass and this fall plastic tarp),
I don't have all the others, but my stacks are full of mice nests and snake skins. ;)

Interested in hearing the breakdown on what kind of timber everyone has in the bank. I know some of you have some real gems tucked away and others have enough wood to retire on if your 401 tanks.

My current stash, some of which will be burned this year. Number are close, but approximate and at all different stages of drying.

Ash - 5 cords
Cherry - 3 cords
Elm - .5 cord
Mulberry - .5 cord
Silver Maple - 1 cord
Beech - 1 cord
Red Oak - 1 cord
White Oak - 2 cords
Osage and Poplar - couple wheel barrow loads
Currently approximate using the sites cord calculator
18 cords red oak
6 white ash
6 cherry
3 sugar maple
4 black locust
2 cords elm
1 cord black birch
this is the stuff that's split all in various stages of drying.
A full woodshed not included comprised of ash,oak,cherry,locust 7 cords,I'm hoping this wood won't go bad by the time I use it. Also at least 10 cords of uncut logs ,oak,cherry,hard maple elm and ash.

,I'm hoping this wood won't go bad by the time I use it.
Your the wood burners version of a millionaire! Way to go. How much do you burn/year?

Your the wood burners version of a millionaire! Way to go. How much do you burn/year?
Average year about 3 cords,but we had 2 very severe winters back to back and that doubled.

This load put me way ahead of the game,worked all summer splitting and stacking tons and tons of red oak the pile was a hundred feet long and as wide and tall as you see.The rounds were huge it was a job.
rounds.jpeg

Reactions: heavy hammer
1 cord ash
1 cord red oak
1/2 cord black birch
More silver maple than I know what to do with (would have to estimate 2.5 "crap tons")
1/2 cord grab bag of cherry, other maples, beech, and black locust

I'm amazed at how many have their largest percentage in oak. We have lots around here, but I rarely get a chance at one. i try hard to find em although I never have anyone let me cut down live. Always from road crews or dead ones I get permission to.
Not sure why that is but that's what Mother Nature has been providing. In the last couple of years I've processed 6 oaks (5 red/1 white), compared to 2 hickories, 1 maple, 1 pine, 1 poplar, and 1 cherry. I dunno, maybe they got stressed by bugs or weather. The remaining oaks all seem just fine except for dropping a branch every now & then. When I moved here 20 years ago it seems like tulip poplars were the ones keeling over.

Here, we can thank Sandy, I think. Lots of big oaks that never seem to die from anything else, which were especially vulnerable (due to their immense size) when Sandy blew through. I cut some as big as 60 inch diameter, and brought home many rounds over 4 feet diameter. Most of those rounds weighed over 1000 lb. each, and some generated 1/4 to 1/3 of a cord out of one round. I'm burning that wood, now.

I actually enjoy the work,to me it's a form of relaxation,
Absolutely. I love it. It's the only thing I enjoy in winter, besides burning.

Reactions: Hasufel
2 chords of ash, 1 chord of oak, one of hickory this year.

Mulberry and Oak in the stack for next year.

Good Afternoon Gentlemen. I think this is my first time posting. I bought and installed a Englander 17-vl last year and am LOVING IT! Finally getting my wood situation in the positive. Last years splits = Cherry, Maple, Oak and Black Walnut about 1/2 cord of each. I just got done splitting next years wood, it consists of: Black Walnut, Oak, Hickory and Hackberry. Hoping to find a load of poplar for the shoulder season. I hope to spend the rest of the winter getting a year or 2 ahead. I have access to a splitter and piles of different woods from the tree service. Now all I need to do is get my butt out there and do it.

Good Afternoon Gentlemen. I think this is my first time posting. I bought and installed a Englander 17-vl last year and am LOVING IT! Finally getting my wood situation in the positive. Last years splits = Cherry, Maple, Oak and Black Walnut about 1/2 cord of each. I just got done splitting next years wood, it consists of: Black Walnut, Oak, Hickory and Hackberry. Hoping to find a load of poplar for the shoulder season. I hope to spend the rest of the winter getting a year or 2 ahead. I have access to a splitter and piles of different woods from the tree service. Now all I need to do is get my butt out there and do it.

Welcome! Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. Enjoy!

5 cord BL
2 cord oak
2 cord BL. cherry
2 cord hard maple
1 cord hickory
2 cord ash.
All this is at least 3 years seasoned
1 cord Osage. Takes forever to season. Not nearly ready

Guessing at this season's remaining supply: 50% paper birch, 25% western hemlock, 20% Douglas fir, 5% big leaf maple.
Next year is about 50/50 red alder/Douglas fir.

Mostly Norway Maple since I'm helping to get rid of them where they have invaded a woodlot on family property. I have tons of it stacked up. Rest is a mix of red/white oak and black cherry.

I'm in my 3rd season of burning. I measured my stacks today and have scrounged 6.5 cords. I estimate:

4 cords red oak
1 cord black locust
.5 cord cherry
.5 ash
.25 maple
.25 Osage

Pics of some but not all yet...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 218
its only been a few more months, but now that everything is moved out back I can update...

Willow: 1/3 cord
Elm: 2 cord
Spruce/Pine: 2+ cord
Aspen: 1 cord
Cedar: 1/3 cord
Maple: 1 cord
Boxelder: 1 cord
Russian Olive: 2/3 cord
cherry: 1/4 cord
peach: 1/4 cord
crabapple: 1/2 cord
Honey Locust: 1 cord