What's in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks like i have
2 cords of Black cherry
1.5 cords hickory
2 cords white oak
3 cords pin oak
3 cords red oak
.5 cord of black walnut
I have about 6 cords of oak in log lenth ready to be cut up in rounds and split this fall
I'm feeling good about my wood stash

Great thread!

Here's mine since January of this year when I decided to put in a wood stove. Yes, I got a little carried away...I don't think I'll be able to maintain this level of productivity.

4 cords Poplar

.5 cord Cherry

.5 cord Black Walnut

1 cord Mulberry

1 cord Hackberry

3 cords Ash

2 cords Shagbark Hickory

10 cords consisting of red oak, white oak, red maple, black walnut, bitternut hickory, black cherry, and a little yellow poplar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerbait
Holy crap dude, what does 30 cords of oak look like?
Full disclosure, after last winter I'm down to 22 or 23 cords CSS'd, I have another 7-8 cords sitting in rounds waiting to be split at the moment. It's mostly oak, but there is a small percentage of ash mixed in.

When I first got back into wood burning, and I'd put up some wood, I'd be so proud to take a photo. But looking thru my photos just now, I realize it's been years since I've taken any photos of any wood stacks! I guess it's old-hat now.

Here's one of my kids enjoying the fire pit last winter, with some of the stacks in the background. Those "cribs" are one cord each in the front row, and it's four rows deep, but it's hard to see that in the photo. The rows stop at the left edge of the photo, but continue on to the right, out of frame. Cribs are 3.5' wide x 6' high, end-to-end a total length of about 150 feet.

IMG_1507.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Coffee
3 cords White Ash
1 cord Red Oak
1 cord in rounds White Ash
1 cord in rounds Black Locust

My great regret is that I can only have 4 cords c/s/s/ and in my sheds at any one time. I have to keep the rest in rounds or my wife will lose it, and that leaves me about 2 cords per year that are seasoned and ready to burn - not nearly enough to make it through.

:)

Snakes !!!

Was out there today and a snake is checking out the new woodport and whats stacked in it.

I've come a long way since my first go around on this...about 10 cords of oak and 1 1/2 Black locust. Will get about 2 cords of Ash soon, we finally got the bug here in the Shenandoah Valley :mad:.
My buddy has a large dead 4 trunk down the road we are going to work up. Woodpeckers are now digging on the few small ash I have.

New house, just had oak and pine cut down.

2 cords pine bucked
1.5 cords white oak bucked
4 cords seasoned red oak split trying to move to the new place!

10 cords. About 9 of them are a mix of white oak and cherry bark red oak. The other cord is a mix of winged elm and sugar berry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've only got about 2.5 to 3 ricks at present. I'm heading into just my second year burning, and live on a small lot in suburbia...with those two factors in mind, I'd say my stash is decent. It'll get me through weekend and night fires this winter. I'm also about to fall into 2 more ricks of Ash, I just need to transport it from the lake house it's currently resting at.

That said, I'm looking at primarily Sugar Maple (1.5 face cords) and Mulberry (0.75 face cords). The rest is a smattering of Ash, Red Oak, and Box Elder.

Most has been seasoning since March, and all of it was C/S/S'd by hand. My biceps are huge, now. Just kidding.

Most importantly, every last split sitting in the stacks was SCROUNGED. It was like Thunderdome, battling for this with all the other wood freaks.

I'm really excited about the Mulberry. Anybody burn it? Is it true that it is comparable to oak, and maybe even better?

Last edited:
Mulberry is such a nice looking wood but I have yet to burn it. Gonna let mine season for a couple years.

My stacks are mostly honey and black locust, various maple, and ash.

random stuff thrown into the mix includes coffee wood, elm, sycamore (never again) and mulberry.

Mulberry is such a nice looking wood but I have yet to burn it.

Agreed, I think I'm being swayed a bit by how pretty the Mulberry looks, and smells. But I did read that it's near the top of the BTU charts as well. I've also heard it seasons quickly, and can get a little sparky. Can't wait to try it out.