What's it supposed to look like?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I opened up the T on my double wall pipe this morning it took a few photos, the first photo is what was sitting on the removable cap on the bottom of the T. Another photo is straight up the double wall pipe. And the last photo is with my arm up to double wall taking a photo of the black pipe going into the T.

Is this normal? Is this too much creosote? Is this bad creosote. Or just normal build up? I appreciate your opinion.
20180128_071155.jpg 20180128_071347.jpg 20180128_071355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How long since installation/last cleaning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

what stove do you have going there? Doesn't look like the gooey runny stuff I see on some folks pipes, but it does like look like it could another brushing?

Reactions: p16209
I opened up the T on my double wall pipe this morning it took a few photos, the first photo is what was sitting on the removable cap on the bottom of the T. Another photo is straight up the double wall pipe. And the last photo is with my arm up to double wall taking a photo of the black pipe going into the T.

Is this normal? Is this too much creosote? Is this bad creosote. Or just normal build up? I appreciate your opinion.
/QUOTE]

Well it's certainly dirty and needs cleaned but it looks like your burning well. The type of appliance has an impact but the other question is - how much wood have you burned so far?

Last edited:
Id definitely brush it, i had a chimney fire once with a pipe that looked like that.

You do have some shiny black stuff in the pic of the black pipe. And yourfirst pic had a bunch of black deposits.

How much wood has run through the stove since last summer? How well seasoned is the wood?

You do have some shiny black stuff in the pic of the black pipe. And yourfirst pic had a bunch of black deposits.

There were a bunch of small black flakes that were sitting on the cap when I removed it, but when you look up the chimney the far majority of the deposits are brown, not black

That is a fair amount of accumulation for one cord. Not alarming, but it could be that the 1yr wood needs a bit more seasoning. Based on this it looks like sweeping the flue system after one cord burned is a good idea until the wood supply is 2+ years seasoned after being split and stacked. Were any of these pictures of what the flue looks like at the top?

That is a fair amount of accumulation for one cord. Not alarming, but it could be that the 1yr wood needs a bit more seasoning. Based on this it looks like sweeping the flue system after one cord burned is a good idea until the wood supply is 2+ years seasoned after being split and stacked. Were any of these pictures of what the flue looks like at the top?

None of the pictures were from the top. They are all from the opening in the bottom of the T. I did look into the chimney with the inspection camera. It seems like most of the deposits are in the first 5 ft of the chimney when I look up the chimney with the camera.

I have not gone up to the roof to look at the cap.

The top is where the flue gases will be the coolest and often where the worst accumulation is.

Well, I cleaned it anyway, I did not climb up on a roof though, I used the detachable poles and the poly brush to go all the way to the top of the chimney from the bottom. I got a good amount of residue out, but again most of the residue was on the lower portion, I did knock out some big chunks where the cap is though.

I also use the bore snake for the black pipe.