What's that smell???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
I was sitting at the computer in my office. The wood stove was going in the next room. Then I smelled something burning. We're all used to the smell of wood, but when it's something else, it's time to panic. I rushed to the stove and looked around. No embers on the carpet. The drapes looked fine. I can't see anything smoking near the stove, but the smell was strong. Then Gracie wandered over.

http://pat.ssih.com/images/burnt.jpg

Poor old fella. Probably won't have to tell him twice.

OOOHHHHH - Life lesson, I'm waiting for the cat to run up the stairs in a flaming ball, he gets so hot laying by the stove that I seriously put a fire extinguisher by the top of the steps.

I find it amazing that our cat can lay two feet in front of the door of the stove for hours. I don't know how it doesn't cook itself.

I was sitting at the computer in my office. The wood stove was going in the next room. Then I smelled something burning. We're all used to the smell of wood, but when it's something else, it's time to panic. I rushed to the stove and looked around. No embers on the carpet. The drapes looked fine. I can't see anything smoking near the stove, but the smell was strong. Then Gracie wandered over.

http://pat.ssih.com/images/burnt.jpg
Nothing like the smell of singed hair ... dog and all the cats have singed their tails at some point on the pellet stove glass. Hope Gracie doesn't have a burn on the skin.

That breaks my heart. I had the same thing happen to a late husky of mine. In her old age, she became less aware of her surroundings and ended up getting too close to the stove one day. She ended up with a very similar burn. My hounds won't get anywhere near close enough to the stove to get burned like that.

No, Gracie was fine. The singe was just on the outer part of her fur. I trimmed the edges with my beard trimmer and she looks fine. It didn't get anywhere near the skin. I'll bet she didn't even know it happened. The electric clippers were probably more traumatic for her.

I have a Woodstock Classic in the lower level of our home that I only burn when it gets really cold or when I'm in my man cave watching sports. One of our two cats likes to jump up on top of most everything and one day it jumped on top of the stove when it was burning. Talk about fast reaction time. That cat went from zero to three feet up in a tenth of a second! When I got hold of her and looked at her paws I couldn't see any injury and she seemed fine.

This is from last year...

Image-839031926.jpg

..and from last week...

Image-133777148.jpg

I had to remove the metal shelf/ash lip from the front of the mansfield to keep my cat from sleeping on it. And yes, his tail brushed the glass; the wonderful smell of burning fur.

Status
Not open for further replies.