What's the CRAZIEST Thing You've Done for Free Wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel silly to say that three afternoons ago I strapped a tree stump into the passenger seat of my car and drove it home ! I didn't think anything of it at first, then a trucker in a big rig tooted his horn at me and I realized how crazy I must look driving down the highway with a stump siding beside me in my Geo Metro ! I just figured it was the lowest entry into my car that had a way of securing it down. It was too heavy to lift into the trunk. I have stopped off at the marble/granite factory every afternoon on my way home since to get another tree section plus some hardwood bracing pieces. I will keep stopping off there until there are only ones too heavy for me to lift. I figure I can get 4 more. Then I'l go back with a man & a truck. No one's been taking it because they'd rather wait for the next pile of pallette wood which can be burned immediatly.

Then I’l go back with a man & a truck

Go back with another woman (or call in the girlfriends) and a truck...... you'd be amazed !!

I've strapped pieces of wood to my bike rack ~30 miles into a ride. I don't ride my bicycle to get wood, but if there's something really nice, I'll grab it.

Ad to youre Signature (a Geo Metro to haul it in) :lol: http://geometroforum.com/site/

We used an old VW. hood as a sled to drag Oak out of the woods long ago.......

Before I had a stove I had a mother. That mother needed wood for her stove so I took an offer of removing a huge cottonwood trunk in exchange for rebuilding a holly double pumper carburetor from a huge hay truck. The hay truck was one of those monster old medium duty trucks and the hood flipped forward allowing decent access to the gigantic carburetor. It stank of varnished gasoline and was mostly gummed up.

She loved the cottonwood which is why I now burn it in my stove. Seems most people have a daddy who had a daddy who swore that cottonwood should not be burned and that it is junk. Well, it burns just fine and I would never have known if it wasn't for the holly, or is it spelled holley?

Wife and I were on vacation in Vermont a few years back when I saw some rounds cut up next to a motel. It was Oak and Yellow Birch; well, there's plenty of Oak here but no Yellow Birch, so I asked inside if I could have one round as a "souvenior". They asked the manager and he said "okay". A few days later we were driving around up there, and the round "rolled" in the back of the wife's Rav 4 and she threatened me with my life it it rolled on some of the gifts that we had back there. I'm still here, so it didn't break anything!

Also walked 75 steps one-way with Beech rounds that I couldn't get the truck any closer to; just "had to have it. : )

leaf4952 said:
I feel silly to say that three afternoons ago I strapped a tree stump into the passenger seat of my car and drove it home ! I didn't think anything of it at first, then a trucker in a big rig tooted his horn at me and I realized how crazy I must look driving down the highway with a stump siding beside me in my Geo Metro ! I just figured it was the lowest entry into my car that had a way of securing it down. It was too heavy to lift into the trunk. I have stopped off at the marble/granite factory every afternoon on my way home since to get another tree section plus some hardwood bracing pieces. I will keep stopping off there until there are only ones too heavy for me to lift. I figure I can get 4 more. Then I'l go back with a man & a truck. No one's been taking it because they'd rather wait for the next pile of pallette wood which can be burned immediatly.

Take a picture! I want to see if that metro looks like Fred Flintstones car when they put that slab of ribs on at the drive in!

All the work for free!!!! (thats crazy but keeps me warm!)

smokinj said:
All the work for free!!!! (thats crazy but keeps me warm!)

I have to agree... Doing someone elses work for them so I can have the wood.

Or better yet, buying a 14k GVW dump trailer to pull with my truck so I can carry 3 cords of free wood each trip when the opportunity for free wood arises. :D

BTW Leaf, be careful driving around with a big round sitting in the passenger seat. In the event you get in an accident, you don't want that round flying around inside your passenger compartment! Seat belts aren't designed to hold stumps securely...

I did something really crazy all for a stick of firewood. It was with a dwarf and a clown,We were all naked, fooling around.. I was young and inexperienced..I should have known they would do something kinky but call me naive, I was not expecting it... and I trusted them....I have never been the same, and I know the Pony and gerbil were not either. OBVIOUSLY I HAVE DATED DWARFS AND CLOWNS SINCE..BUT NOT TOGETHER....MY TRUST IS SHATTERED

well here's some pic's of what i bought to get "free firewood" with.
1-TON018.jpg

REMORQUESWORKING038Standarde-mailvi.jpg

FORREST015.jpg

REMORQUESWORKING003.jpg

CHECKPHOTOS021.jpg

STONEMTWOODLOT044.jpg

STONEMTWOODLOT048.jpg

fyrwoodguy - nice setup I have some of the same stuff as in your pics ( well maybe just the saw and the bike) in my dreams.

You guys got me beat all I have done is clean up other yard / tree waste and provide free labor in exchange fopr free wood .

Status
Not open for further replies.