Whats the one thing I need for manually splitting big rounds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
I managed to buck up a huge red oak trunk yesterday. Problem is I cant even lift them to load into my utility vechile. I alway use my log splitter after I haul everything home. Point is I have no manual tools to split with. I know call me a weenie. I would agree.
I hate to waste such good wood as it is about 3/4 of a cord. I also cannot get my splitter to where it is. What do I need to split them into halves?

Use your chainsaw! Noodle that sucker in half so you can get it into the vehicle and then split it when you get home.

Saw it along the grain, not along the ends where you bucked it. Just keep an eye out for the strings getting stuck in the clutch cover, and you should be good to go. Even if you just cut half way or so, you can then put a wedge in the kerf and pop it open.

A couple of 18 year old sons would be about right!

There's an 85 year old guy that I told ya'll about in another thread that was splitting wood that size and bigger.............all HE used was a sledge hammer and a couple of wedges!!

-Soupy1957

THIS!!!! :coolgrin:

Sotz Monster Maul - almost 31 yrs old now,20 pounds with newer reinforced & welded thick wall pipe handle.Has NEVER gotten stuck.Cant say that about my X25 or any of my old axes.Dont need it as much now,not as easy to use as when I was younger.But for the extra-large,tough and/or gnarly ones - its unbeatable.The X25 gets used on 95% of what gets split now.

Attachments

• maul2.jpg
    maul2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 651
  • maul3.jpg
    maul3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 629
Noodle them up. Every wood burner should have a splitting maul...or one of the fiskars thingies.

If splitting rounds into moveable chunks is all you want to do I'd say get 2 or 3 wedges & a sledge if you don't already have one. Start a notch by noodling with the saw 1/4 way through, place a wedge or two & crack those suckers in half. A maul or splitting axe is nicer for splitting to stove size, but sounds like you've go that covered.

You need a Fiskars Super splitter. I split 24" Elm rounds (yes, ELM!) with mine and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen in with my own two eyes. I've split Black Locust, White Oak, Red Oak, and even Madrone with mine--and nothing has stopped it so far.......

NP

Wedge & sledge, no big deal.

Actually Red Oak should pop right open, but on crotches or other types of trees I like tpo have several wedges and even some large wooden wedges ((Gluts). I've split stumps that were too heavy to load this way.

I will noodle cut, but it's a rare thing.

ATB,
Mike

Lots of mussle.

Thistle said:
THIS!!!! :coolgrin:

Sotz Monster Maul - almost 31 yrs old now,20 pounds with newer reinforced & welded thick wall pipe handle.Has NEVER gotten stuck.Cant say that about my X25 or any of my old axes.Dont need it as much now,not as easy to use as when I was younger.But for the extra-large,tough and/or gnarly ones - its unbeatable.The X25 gets used on 95% of what gets split now.

And we shall nub the Sotz Monster Maul . . . Mjölnir . . . which of course means you need to change your name here Thistle to Thor. ;)

Wedge and sledge is what I use.
I'll use the saw on some of the really nasty gnarly ones and sometimes I'll poke one with the saw to help start a wedge.
Several wedges. Sometimes they don't always just 'pop' and a thin wedge usually starts easier if I haven't cut a slot for a wedge with the saw.

I'd go with the chainsaw, fastest way to split in half and then you can go home and do the rest. Also agree with those who say get a maul or splitter, I've got the fiskars and it has been working well so far.

A chainsaw is no where near the fastest thing to get those in half. 2 wedges and a sledge gets it done very quickly. A maul might do the trick but you never know so you need a sledge and wedges anyway.

Oak can split rather nicely with a maul or wedges. Especially easy with large rounds because they don't fall over while splitting.

PS - you can also bring a 2x10 and roll them up into your vehicle.

I don't care if it's a sequoia, if it's sawed to stove length, then I can split it. Just go outside in. Works on 20 inches, works on 5 feet... Just need a good maul, or a fishers if it's girl wood.

Danno77 said:
I don't care if it's a sequoia, if it's sawed to stove length, then I can split it. Just go outside in. Works on 20 inches, works on 5 feet... Just need a good maul, or a fishers if it's girl wood.

I will slice you a couple! ;-)

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 359
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I bet you would. Probably with a 72" bar on the 192!!!

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I bet you would. Probably with a 72" bar on the 192!!!

Something like that, but you might bring them all just in case! :cheese:

MICHAEL H said:
I managed to buck up a huge red oak trunk yesterday. Problem is I cant even lift them to load into my utility vechile. I alway use my log splitter after I haul everything home. Point is I have no manual tools to split with. I know call me a weenie. I would agree.
I hate to waste such good wood as it is about 3/4 of a cord. I also cannot get my splitter to where it is. What do I need to split them into halves?

A large set of B _ LLs, and a BIG bowl of Wheaties.................................

The thing you need the most is lots of ambition and a good aim to split the wood. Most splitting mauls will work but sledge and steel wedges make it even easier. If you get wedges, get 3. That way if you get one or two hung up, the third one can be used to free one of the others (driving one wedge right beside one other wedge to split it apart wide).

I'm impressed that he can split like that with a 6lb(?) maul. On some easy splitting big oak I can roll through about 2/3 that speed with my fiskars. If I had to use a maul, then I'd slow down to less than half that guy's speed. It'd be interesting to know how long he can keep that speed up.

He does something that I think is totally worth noting (something that I learned from watching Quads split, too, and have only just started doing in the last couple of years) and that is to split the wood where it lies. I used to think I needed to stand it all back up, huge waste of time.

Howdy - Certainly doesn't hurt that the wood is rotted...speeds up my splitting time like crazy!

Littlalex

Young lad can really flys thru the dry stuff, bet he'll slow down the greener it gets........................still impressive though!

Status
Not open for further replies.