Whats the one thing I need for manually splitting big rounds!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MICHAEL H said:
I managed to buck up a huge red oak trunk yesterday. Problem is I cant even lift them to load into my utility vechile. I alway use my log splitter after I haul everything home. Point is I have no manual tools to split with. I know call me a weenie. I would agree.
I hate to waste such good wood as it is about 3/4 of a cord. I also cannot get my splitter to where it is. What do I need to split them into halves?

Hike up your skirt, tap those suckers with a maul to make a wedge groove, and beat a wedge into the things. They'll split - unless they're elm - in which case you'll need a narrow head axe to finish up.

Piece of cake, I do it all the time.

You will occassionally break your maul - particularly if it's a Craftsman.

rottiman said:

Young lad can really flys thru the dry stuff, bet he'll slow down the greener it gets........................still impressive though!

I'd like to see him splitting elm.

I always take my Fiskars Super Splitter with me when I cut. Two or three whacks will halve a 30" Oak or Locust round. The halves usually only take one shot. Quarters are easily tossed up onto the old flatbed. If you are lucky most of the bark will fall off too when you do this so you can leave it in the woods, rather than clean it up at home. I have found that green always splits easiest.

Danno77 said:
I don't care if it's a sequoia, if it's sawed to stove length, then I can split it. Just go outside in. Works on 20 inches, works on 5 feet... Just need a good maul, or a fishers if it's girl wood.

Tried that on large (36"+) green doug fir rounds and it was pathetic. Tried the Fiskars, tried 8# maul and wedges. Had to buy an additional wedge, flip it and hit it from the opposite side just to free the wedges. When freshly cut, the round just laughed at everything I did. Finally hired a couple of 23 yr old kids that used to play football in our local school. They had the same problem, but were more persistent and eventually we got a lot of the stuff split. Fast forward a year and a half, letting the remaining drums dry out a bit and start to check. Now they split really nicely.

I guess softwoods are the opposite of hardwoods. Oak, Locust, Cherry, Ash all split easiest when green. Are you saying that the Western softwoods are harder to split when green?

rottiman said:
MICHAEL H said:
I managed to buck up a huge red oak trunk yesterday. Problem is I cant even lift them to load into my utility vechile. I alway use my log splitter after I haul everything home. Point is I have no manual tools to split with. I know call me a weenie. I would agree.
I hate to waste such good wood as it is about 3/4 of a cord. I also cannot get my splitter to where it is. What do I need to split them into halves?

A large set of B _ LLs, and a BIG bowl of Wheaties.................................

he asked 'what's the one thing i need for manually splitting large rounds'
you gave him 3. ;-)

Flatbedford said:
I guess softwoods are the opposite of hardwoods. Oak, Locust, Cherry, Ash all split easiest when green. Are you saying that the Western softwoods are harder to split when green?

That has been my experience. The only thing that completely stymied my Homelite 4 ton electric splitter was wet, green white fir. The wedge of the splitter was nearly fully buried, the splitter stalled and the wood didn't even crack. Most of the wood we are allowed to cut is standing dead and it splits nicely. Juniper is the exception. We are allowed to cut it live, but, aside from the really knotty pieces, it splits nicely green.

Craig

Just a quick followup to all the great replies. I bought one of those round wedges. Looks like two triangles put together with a thin point at the bottom. 20lb sledge hammer. Small noodle cut across the top to set wedge in. Tree is now home all in one afternoon. No aches, no pains and lots of good oak for the 2015 season. Thanks to all you guys. I am learning to make my life easier and more productive.

onetracker said:
rottiman said:
MICHAEL H said:

A large set of B _ LLs, and a BIG bowl of Wheaties.................................

he asked 'what's the one thing i need for manually splitting large rounds'
you gave him 3. ;-)

Actually two, the first item comes as a set

Status
Not open for further replies.