When to load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U.P.Boiler

Nov 15, 2015
Michigan , UP, Moran
So here in the upper Peninsula of MI its still mild here in relation to the deep freeze of January. I'm running a Hawken HE-1100. Pretty standard set up and easy to use boiler. Im loading slab wood scrap pieces about 1 time a day. I was out looking at the coals today and im burning down to about 2 inch pieces of coal. In an effort to be efficient at what point would y'all load up the box again ? My initial thought is to let it get to mostly powder with smaller coals. Am I off base ??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with you on that. But my question is : With the coals being in the chunk size of around 2 inch or so should I not load until i start seeing finer ash ?

I'd be looking more at the water temp, whats left in the firebox doesn't mater - If you need heat, fire it up!

Temp has never been an issue. My concern is that loading more wood on top of coals is pushing the chunks of unburnt wood down, smothering them, and not getting all the heat from that piece of wood that i should be.

My point was - if you don't need the heat yet, don't reload yet. Let the coals burn down as far as they will, until you need heat again. Even if it means the fire goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.