Where are you buying Spruce Pointe pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdoer

First - I'm a newB and I simply love the information on this site!

Last season I was surrounded by local dealers that carried these pellets - which coincidently love my stove. This season those same dealers aren't carrying Spruce Pointe.

I've found a site that lists 4 places in Massachusetts, but I live in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and would like to find a place in Maine or New Hampshire to purchase a couple tons (I have nothing against people from Mass:) Maine is closer). I read another poster bought some in Turner, Maine - and am hopeful in finding more locations, and possibly a little closer?

So - I'm hoping others will share where they are purchasing Spruce Pointe pellets this year...anyone?

Well if you can't find spruce pointe pellets. You can look for either Rocky Mountain or Okanagan pellets.

I have burned The spuce point and the rockies. I thought the Rockies were slightly better. I have not burned any Okanagan's yet but have heard nothing but good things about them.

HD and TCS sometimes has the rockies. Grab a bag or 2 to try. I bet you will like them too!

jay

if you have a tractor supply check them. they have them in my area but didnt sell them last year.

hey there Middleton building supply in dover nh has them $299 ton

Macman,
it does sound step huh, I have a question for you. How much is home heating oil where you are located? Here in maine it is somewhere around 2.20-2.50. (LP 2.50ish) So going to the fuel estimator I would say pellets at $280 would be a breaking even point. It kinda fits into another thread where the guy was paying $1.08 for lp down south which could never be matched up here. Oil/lp prices are just going to rise through the winter and for us folk that where or are not in a position to prebuy all of our commodities do end up paying a steeper price, thats the way it goes unfortunatly. Trust me I'd love to get ahead of the game when it comes to these things but for myself I can only produce what the market bares. Sure there are pellets out there for less, we could go to HD, lol if fact I just got a bag of fireside's to give them another shot, why I thought they may have changed to a good pellet for me this year is beyond me. I'll be getting my shovel out from the garage soon to clean out the ash. It seems from reading the posts here and prices of fuels, the more south you go the cheaper they get; on all fuels... Naturally the demand controls the prices so there are numerous factors determining these prices. Do you think I could get 5 tons delivered to your house and come pick them up?????

Thanks to everyone for info - good stuff~

I called the Dover location and they have free delivery, which would save $ in diesel fuel spent driving a truck to Mass or Maine - is it just me, or are the price of pellets this year are a little high in general? I won't miss the detective work from last year to simply find a place that had pellets in stock and happy to finally have selections to choose from this season.

By the time I finally had my stove installed in 2008, pellets were so hard to come by. Granted, last year's shortage forced me to try a variety of pellets - some places around me were selling pellets at a 10 bag maximum due to the shortage. Were it not for the shortage, I would have never come across SP.

Everything but Spruce Pointe had me shutting off my stove way too often to dump the ash. That much ash build up in such a short time can't be good on a stove - and I even had the guy that I bought the stove from come out and make sure it was set up and working correctly. Shortly after I started burning SP, I noticed a marked difference in ash...heh - what ash?! The heat it produced was great.

I am really looking forward to another winter in a VERY warm house.

The key is FINDING quality softwood pellets in the NE to try out.

In my area, the majority of the places I check with each year only carry hardwood pellets.
If you ask a dealer which is better the answer was always "go with hardwoods" or "a pellet is a pellet".

My first year burning, I accepted this response as I didn't know any better anyway.
The following year I tried some softwood pellets (Green Supreme) and WOW what a difference.
These burn way cleaner and hotter than any of the hardwoods I have tried to date.

Because everyone chooses the hardwoods, there was always plenty of these around for me...OINK ;-)
However, next season will be a different story as they are no longer available.

For the heck of it, I called around some of the places that have been selling me
Green Supremes over the years to see what they are replacing them with.
so far 2 are now selling Inferno (yuck).

Now I have to find not only a new pellet, but a new supplier too again. :down:

Wow! For once I'm feeling like my stove isn't some freak of nature.

The local places around me kept trying to push hardwood my way saying everyone likes them and they work best. When I told them how awesome the SP pellets worked I was told the majority of their customers felt otherwise and that "it depends on the stove".

At the time, I didn't know anything about pellet quality and simply wanted fuel to burn. However, I wound up sticking with SP for the rest of the winter as more pellets became available. The same place said they didnt' have enough buyers to warrant stocking SP this season.

It's nice to know my stove isn't the only one that likes the stuff...though I have to say, while I like the idea of frying up some gummi bears, I would be eating all of my fuel before I could burn those suckers!

See, there is the problem tho. If a retailer does not carry a specific brand, we can't get em.
We are at their mercy on what is available.

Most of the local dealers that offer delivery to my town either get their pellets from a specific
mill or sell the same variety of brands as the big box stores.

If they are under contract agreement with a mill and/or have happy customers with the
brands they sell, why would they change that?

I get Spruce Pointe Pellets by driving across the street, backing my pickup into their pellet plant, and having a forklift put a pallet of them in the back of my truck. They are still warm from the dryers when I am hauling them into the basement.

Vanderwell's Sawmill/Planer is curtailed to 50% capacity due to the collapse of the housing market.

Which pellet product are you a distributor for BTU?? Pinnacle?

Havlat24 said:
I get Spruce Pointe Pellets by driving across the street, backing my pickup into their pellet plant, and having a forklift put a pallet of them in the back of my truck. They are still warm from the dryers when I am hauling them into the basement.

Vanderwell's Sawmill/Planer is curtailed to 50% capacity due to the collapse of the housing market.

That's it - I'm moving to Canada!

yknotcarpentry said:
Macman,
it does sound step huh, I have a question for you. How much is home heating oil where you are located? Here in maine it is somewhere around 2.20-2.50. (LP 2.50ish) So going to the fuel estimator I would say pellets at $280 would be a breaking even point. ......

I filled my oil tank about a month ago through CODOIL.com, and I paid $2.19.....and it's still at that price now for the amount I bought (239 Gal.).

I use the PFI calculator usually, but the owner of the site, Craig, has said on many occasions (and I tend to agree), that due to various factors, probably the easiest and closest to "reality" way is to take the price of a gallon of oil, and move the decimal to the right 2 places (or vice-versa). So to burn pellets cheaper for me, I'd have to pay less than $219/ton.

My problem is that I still have pellets from last year that were more expensive. I basically should wait for HHO to reach $2.60/gal before burning pellets, but I love having a fire going in the snowy, blustery wintertime, so the stove will get some use.

So our oil prices are the same, do you find that the price points of pellets are cheaper in your area then say up here? For simuliar "grade" pellets? I don't really know as I just started to burn last year and pellet prices are basically the same as last year, of course now oil is about a buck cheaper. Oil is not even a real consideration for me at this point in the game however simce my boiler is dead and can't afford to get a new one at the moment so I'm going to have to suck it up no matter what.

Do you know much about chimney liners? my present chimney in the basement is unlined(12"x12" inside opening), so if and when I get a new boiler I have to line it. Been looking online and at chimney liner depot . com found a s.s kit 6" x 35' includes tee top plate/cap $570: (seems like a good price as a good friend and plumber told me he could get me one for $800 I install, another company said $2000 installed.....) Anyway, was thinking of perhaps insulationing it with a 1/2" kit for $310, ($80 more then my "friend" quoted me) then I could temp put a wood stove down there. Would I be able to eventually use that same liner to hook up an oil boiler to it (after it was cleaned of course)???

thread hacking I know very sorry but I have macmans eye and I trust it....

You know whats hilarious.... the raw-material used to make pellets sells for 3 dollars a ton.

I posted this in the fuel price report,but thought I would add it here I found spruce pointe pellets at spurias in ashburnham ma for 255 a ton which I thought was a good price.

mnkywrnch said:
havlat24 said:
240 CAD/Ton from the mill.
wow not much of a discount!

nope... gotta buy the 1.3 ton pallets too. The alternative is 7 bucks a bag at canadian tire..... almost double.

What I cant understand is how the prices in canada can be so high when those pellets are made there,I feel for you.

Middletons will deliver anywhere in NH no charge. $299 may seam kind of expensive to some but I do not think pellets are the same price all across the country. For example, lowes or home depot is at 269/ton (not including the multi-ton discount). Using the big box cheap brands as a base what are they in other areas? I haven't seen any super premium pellets in NH (Okies, Dragon Mountain, Rocky Mountain, or Spruce Point) for less than $299.

joefraser said:
Middletons will deliver anywhere in NH no charge. $299 may seam kind of expensive to some but I do not think pellets are the same price all across the country. For example, lowes or home depot is at 269/ton (not including the multi-ton discount). Using the big box cheap brands as a base what are they in other areas? I haven't seen any super premium pellets in NH (Okies, Dragon Mountain, Rocky Mountain, or Spruce Point) for less than $299.
joefraser I dont know how far from the border of ma you are but 255 a ton is what I paid maybe worth a roadtrip with a u-haul.

I have hardwood pellets here in CT. for $300/ton. But I can get Spruces for $265. So thats what I have been getting for the cold weather stash. $265 IMO is still to expensive for pellets, But is a heck of a lot better than $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.