1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Where can I get good info on installing a pellet vent system?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mwb56, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwb56

mwb56 New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    Hi..I have purchased a pellet stove and Dura-Vent Pellet Vent system and plan to install it myself. I am installing at a 45-degree angle, 2.5 feet horizontally out the wall and 3 foot vertical rise.I have a wall thimble, clean-out tee w/cap and all the required parts but don't really have a clue where to start. For example: how do I install the wall thimble? Does anyone know where I can find information pertaining to the physical installation?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Download the install instructions from the Duravent website
  3. mwb56

mwb56 New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    Thanks...I have the instruction manual (semi-worthless). How about this: What type of high-temp silicone is best to use? Should I seal the inside as well as the outside of each joint? Does the stove adapter just get pushed on and sealed or does it somehow attach more securely? Any help greatly appreciated.
  4. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Sealing just the outside will be fine. I only did it on the joints inside the house, seeing as that I didn't really care if it leaked a bit outside. I forget exactly what silicone I used, but I just bought the highest temperature rated stuff I found at the local big box store, and haven't had a problem at all with it.
  5. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Anybody have any experience with the Rutland "Seal It Right" product for gas and pellet venting? They claim it is good to 800 degrees and does not adhere like silicone so you can still take the pipe apart for cleaning or other maintenance.

It is kinda pricey but worth it if it works.
  7. bilder

bilder New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern,ma.
    The dealer that I bought my stove and duravent from supplied RTV silicone rated for 500 degrees.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.