Where did you route your class A pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Class A Pipe where do you have it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
For me the installers routed it through a corner of our bedroom enclosed by drywall with a vent on top.
Of course they have the clearance set for the enclosure.

What I find is I get allot of heat from this setup especially when I am firing the stove up and I retain some heat that normally would be lost up the pipe.

My only concerns is even though its Class A HT pipe, and the clearances are setup correctly, sometimes the wall gets warm to the touch especially when it takes sometime to get the stove up to temp. Should this be a concern and how does your class A run?

Other.

I routed mine straight up from the stove through the ceiling, where I switched to Class-A through the attic and out the roof. No enclosure necessary.

-SF

That's kind of a trick question (imho).............the Chimney starts off "in" the house" and runs up and "outside" (obviously).

I went straight up to the attic, and then did a slight bend to avoid the peak. (I understand from another thread in here that there ARE framework structures that would have allowed me to go "thru" the peak, but I'm not comfortable with that).

-Soupy1957

1 story houses with straight up, interior chimney don't fit in the poll. They go: stove pipe-CSB-chimney in attic (a REALLY short attic if cathedral ceiling) - thru roof decking.

dougand3 said:
1 story houses with straight up, interior chimney don't fit in the poll. They go: stove pipe-CSB-chimney in attic (a REALLY short attic if cathedral ceiling) - thru roof decking.

That is why I put other in the poll to drop into the other categories.
My thoughts on this are more along the lines of how people did their installs.
I seen pictures of people who route their chimneys through an outside wall and was curious on how many did this with their install.

Also for those who did an exposed or semi exposed inside the house install, what is their experience.
I know for myself my install helps me heat the upstairs even though I have a basement install, which may be a solution to some who do a basement install and have troubles heating the upstairs, though their are other variables involved.

But, as I mentioned the enclosed wall does get warm to the touch when it is pumping the heat through the class A.

Status
Not open for further replies.