Where do I stand? Bucking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
The guy thats been dropping wood off to me has been pretty good about bucking before he drops off a load but there is a few limbs now and then along with some rounds 2' upwards of 4' sections. I really don't mind as I really am enjoying being more involved and running my new saw. He lets me borrow his chaps and I'm set with gloves and boots but no helmet yet but will have to get goggles. I'm extremely concerned with safety and while cutting I'm driving myself nuts with what if's. I've had Diabetes for 30 years so you can all imagine my concern for even a scrape on my extremities.

I'd like to hear some feedback on where I should be standing. Most of what I'm cutting is on the ground. I'm noticing my right foot is usually right where the saw dumps it's dust and that there tells me that my right foot is not in the right place.

Thanks in advance :)
-Bob

I believe the correct way is always stand to the left of the saw, out of the plane of the saw. That way, if the saw kicks up or straight back at you, it won't hit you.

Keep your left arm straight and locked.

If sawdust is falling on your right foot, it's too close. Turn your body slightly to the right and keep your right foot back a step.

There are a couple of good books on chainsaw safety floating around, but I can't remember the names.

For some reason I prefer work from right to left...with the limbs on the ground. Used a saw buck once...first and last time.

Good advice so far, also if there is any slope at all, stand on the uphill side of the log you are bucking.

hareball said:
The guy thats been dropping wood off to me has been pretty good about bucking before he drops off a load but there is a few limbs now and then along with some rounds 2' upwards of 4' sections. I really don't mind as I really am enjoying being more involved and running my new saw. He lets me borrow his chaps and I'm set with gloves and boots but no helmet yet but will have to get goggles. I'm extremely concerned with safety and while cutting I'm driving myself nuts with what if's. I've had Diabetes for 30 years so you can all imagine my concern for even a scrape on my extremities.

I'd like to hear some feedback on where I should be standing. Most of what I'm cutting is on the ground. I'm noticing my right foot is usually right where the saw dumps it's dust and that there tells me that my right foot is not in the right place.

-Bob

Please do not take this post wrong. I am not attempting to criticize in the least but just would like to point out a couple things. If my wording is off, then please forgive me.

Bob, your post just made me cringe. I can understand being cautious but it sounds as if you might be your own worst enemy. Be cautious okay, but don't overdo it or you might end up like poor Job in that, "For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me."

Over the years I've found this truth in that those who fear the most end up with what they fear. Respect it but don't fear it.

Also, I'm wondering why you would need a helmet if you are just cutting some 2' or 4' sections?

As for me, I also respect wood cutting very highly but have yet to wear a helmet, goggles, chaps, special boots or gloves. I refuse to worry and I do try to take control of things rather than letting things take control of me.

If I were cutting those small limbs, I'd have a firewood length of wood under what I were cutting. I'd also put pressure on the log with my left foot to keep the log from rolling.

What about uneven ground. Well, if you stand on the downhill side you can reach the log much easier which makes the cutting a whole lot easier. Naturally if you were cutting sawmill logs that are bigger than you use for firewood, then you would either stand on the uphill side or make sure that log was not going to roll on you. You could also make part of the cut from the downhill side and then switch sides to finish the cut. There are more than one way to skin a cat and there are more ways than one in cutting wood.

One can also build a sawbuck very quickly and easy and the cost is minimal.

After I hit reply something was pointed out to me. Flashback, August 2009 on a hot day. I left home sometime in mid morning riding my bicycle. On my ride I did stop a couple times to visit and once to eat along with a couple of necessary stops. As I rolled up our driveway though when I returned, I saw my neighbor pushing over a couple of dead pine trees I asked him to push over lest they fall on the power line.

I rode up to my wife who was watching and showed here the speedometer. I had rode just a tad over 100 miles that day on my bike. But wait! The neighbor has a tree he can't push over. Okay, I go to the barn and grab the chain saw and I cut the tree while he has the front end loader pushed against the tree. We got them all down easily.

Point? I had just rode 100 miles on a bicycle. I was tired and sweaty. I had no protection as I was still in bike shorts, bike shoes and I do not wear a helmet on the bike so my head was unprotected. But here I was handling a chain saw. Everything went well and that is exactly what we expected. Other than some sawdust on my sweaty skin and clothing nothing happened. I simply looked over the situation and then took care of it without worrying about my safety. I controlled the saw, which is what you must do when handling any saw.

I cut all my wood out in the brush, which can be a balancing act sometimes. I stand however I need to so I can get the most stable footing possible, while trying to keep my body out of direct line with the chain/bar.

dave11 said:
I believe the correct way is always stand to the left of the saw, out of the plane of the saw. That way, if the saw kicks up or straight back at you, it won't hit you.

Keep your left arm straight and locked.

If sawdust is falling on your right foot, it's too close. Turn your body slightly to the right and keep your right foot back a step.

There are a couple of good books on chainsaw safety floating around, but I can't remember the names.

+1 . . . Stand to the left . . . assuming you're right-handed.

Backwoods Savage said:
hareball said:

-Bob

Please do not take this post wrong. I am not attempting to criticize in the least but just would like to point out a couple things. If my wording is off, then please forgive me.

Bob, your post just made me cringe. I can understand being cautious but it sounds as if you might be your own worst enemy. Be cautious okay, but don't overdo it or you might end up like poor Job in that, "For the thing I greatly feared has come upon me."

Over the years I've found this truth in that those who fear the most end up with what they fear. Respect it but don't fear it.

Also, I'm wondering why you would need a helmet if you are just cutting some 2' or 4' sections?

As for me, I also respect wood cutting very highly but have yet to wear a helmet, goggles, chaps, special boots or gloves. I refuse to worry and I do try to take control of things rather than letting things take control of me.

If I were cutting those small limbs, I'd have a firewood length of wood under what I were cutting. I'd also put pressure on the log with my left foot to keep the log from rolling.

What about uneven ground. Well, if you stand on the downhill side you can reach the log much easier which makes the cutting a whole lot easier. Naturally if you were cutting sawmill logs that are bigger than you use for firewood, then you would either stand on the uphill side or make sure that log was not going to roll on you. You could also make part of the cut from the downhill side and then switch sides to finish the cut. There are more than one way to skin a cat and there are more ways than one in cutting wood.

Dennis, You can always keep it as straight as you can get with me. :) I'll take any and all advice that comes from experienced people whether they are holding my hand through it or pounding it in my head while yelling lol!
The helmet is something I hope to work my way up to. Yesterday while running the saw a small chip went up and over my glasses and landed right on my eye-made me think of the face shield-helmet on the back burner-goggles a must (I'm already vision impaired).
I think it's just a case of noobie jitters. By nature I'm pretty fearless- Was one of the only guys on my crew to throw an 80 pond sack of calcium over my shoulder and climb the concrete truck to put it n the hopper all while the driver is running the barrel and the truck is rockin and 20' waves on the Ocean? I like that lol...Piranha-Have been brushed by thousands and bitten twice, not scared. Well you get the point and I see yours. Concentrate on the job at hand and don't worry about what if's. In time I hope to run a saw like a champ. I've always been a gear head and have loved small screaming 2 strokes and the smell. Will be back at it tomorrow morning wth a new view on the work area, Thanks :)

hareball said:

-Bob

goggles in the wind is a must saw dust in your eyes is the very worst thing to me. My socks seem to take a beaten with it as well because I hate heavy boots as well. Bucking I like to set the dawgs in at the top of the log and pivot from there as much as you can. As far as where you stand alot of times I will sit if the log isnt that large. If standing its left of saw..

Attachments

• oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    oakaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 458
I'd learn what kickback is, and stand out of the way in case your saw kicks back. I have never actually had a kickback, so I am not sure I really understand how fast it is, but I get the impression I don't want to find out the hard way.

One of the first things I did with my new 026 Pro was go out to a tree I was going to cut down and experiment with how sensitive the nose was and induce a kickback.

Lacking the proper terminology this saw sure seems to warn ya (rather subtly, though) where the bite point is. Ignore it and the bar tip is up near my shoulder right quick. At least half way when I know it's going to happen. And it IS quick.

Wouldn't recommend that to someone who never handled a saw before, but certainly before going out in the woods and working on hung up trees after practicing on downed easy stuff.

like said, stand to the left, that's what i do but just last fall I didn't have that right leg back far enough (another inch probably would have done it) and got a big ole whack on the shin when the log pinched my saw.

I usually stand to the left and my right shoe fills up with chips same as you are seeing. I'm 6'6" and use a saw with an 18" bar, so I end up standing a bit differently than most. I've never been worried about the saw contacting my right foot as it would have to go through the ground to get to it. Just make sure you don't have the top of the bar pinched as the saw kerf closes up. I've heard of folks getting whacked in the leg when this happens (the saw shoots back out of the cut and the handle whacks your shin), but my puny MS310 does not have enough power to do this.

I personally believe the best thing you can have for your personal protection is the use of your brain! Take your time and work deliberately being careful to avoid trip hazzards, getting your saw pinched, and getting yourself in positions where you are off balance. A good pair of goggles is usually a good idea, especially if you're cutting in the wind. If you're cutting in a pile, make sure you don't get yourself pinched if what you're cutting moves around.

I will always use chaps when cutting. It takes about three seconds to put them on and I know I will have some protection for my legs. My hard hat also has hearing protection on it as well as a screen so I might as well use that as well. Takes only a few seconds and could help. Why not? Unfortunately I tend to square up more than most behind the logs so I should also look at running to the left a little.
Chad

Backwoods Savage said:
hareball said:

-Bob

What he said.

Being a lefty i am pretty much "Hit" no matter where I stand, but a lot of good advice right here for ya'
my biggest thing is to watch the tip, if the tip of the bar is clear I ain't too worried about getttin' kicked in the face.
My brother gave me a hard hat with the muffs and face screen, it still hangs on the nail in the shed from the day he gave it to me
I only wear (not just :) )boots when I cut cause I don't like chips in my socks. Boot,sneaker, sandal, shoe the saw is the saw and it will take what it
it wants if you let it.
And if you have had enough beer to start trippin' over the pieces you been cuttin' put the saw away and call it a day, my closest call
put rips in my right pant leg from thigh to shin (got lucky no blood) from the adult supervision of a twelve pack many years ago before I had a stove.

Like said above respect, not fear.

Here is where I stand:

I've had good intentions starting off to the left of the saw but always seem to slip back in behind it. I thiink being only 5'6" and having a short reach draws me back.

hareball said:
I've had good intentions starting off to the left of the saw but always seem to slip back in behind it. I thiink being only 5'6" and having a short reach draws me back.
I hear ya, I sometimes have the same problem. Something that helps me is to remember to let the saw do the work for me. I find that generally, the reason I start sliding over is because I'm trying to muscle the saw through the wood. I find this encourages me to stop, sharpen the chain, and then go back at it. I THINK that this helps with fatigue, but it may just be in my head....

I could not believe what I read here as regards wearing safety equipment. Sure someone might go for years and not need chaps but that one time could save your life. I had a neighbor who was experienced die from a deep cut to his leg. Out here no ones coming to help so you better be able to drive to help. He bled out driving out of the bush. If you go to any forestry site or the top site AboristSite.com you will find that folks do not think it very funny to encourage folks to not use chaps. Not using chaps is just being lazy. I do not mean to offend anyone but then maybe better to stop bad advice.

hareball said:
+1 - 5'6" and right behind cut - seems the only comfortable way for me. I'm always 100% focused on the cut and feel I'm being about as safe as possible! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.