Where to buy Harman xxv online?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplumber

Nov 2, 2010
anybody know of a good place online to get a good deal on a harman xxv, i've pretty much given up on dealerships as they are extremely over priced

I maybe wrong and there are others here much more knowledgeable than I on this subject matter, but I believe Harman and Quadrafire, both owned by HHT do not allow their items to be sold online.

Where are you located ? just went through this ordeal buying an XXV last week. What a scam !

I'm not disagreeing that your local dealer may be higher priced, however they have to make money to be able to stay in business. Hopefully they will give you service after the sale. You also might want to check out how that online purchase if going to affect your warranty, also might want to consider if you will be able to get a local dealer to service your stove that you purchased online. Sorry if I sound negative about this but it's tough to maintain a brick and mortar store, tougher than most people think. Retail cost isn't based solely on what a retailer buys the product for, there are many other factors that go into determining that price (rent/mortgage, insurance, parts inventory, vehicle maintainence, etc.)

not "online", per se, but I bought mine from a distance during the great pellet-panic of '08. (remember? when heating oil was $4+/gallon, and forecast to stay that way permanently? :) )

All local stock was depleted. too bad, so sad. So, I had to take the calculated risk of buying from afar. Southern Hearth and Patio was happy to sell me the stove I wanted, and ship it here, cheap. But, by doing that, I pretty much sacrificed any warranty. (I don't think they're "supposed" to do that--sell beyond their service area; but they did).

The business model in the stove industry is nuts, imo, but thats the way it is. The dealers take all the risk for a flaw created by the factory. hence, the markup. If my stove fails, and the local dealer comes out to fix it, they won't be reimbursed by the factory, because I didn't buy the stove from them. No way the dealer in Chattanooga is sending a tech up here to MA to fix one of their stoves, so...
Imagine if the auto industry worked this way? crazy.

Other than buying long distance like cac4, ya won't be able to find one online unless someone is selling one used.
Ya can't even get parts for them without going thru a dealer.

Harman does not deal with the customer directly for anything so if you have an issue, you will be at the mercy
of the dealer that sold you the stove. Many dealers will only service what they sell.

cac4 said:
not "online", per se, but I bought mine from a distance during the great pellet-panic of '08. (remember? when heating oil was $4+/gallon, and forecast to stay that way permanently? :) )

All local stock was depleted. too bad, so sad. So, I had to take the calculated risk of buying from afar. Southern Hearth and Patio was happy to sell me the stove I wanted, and ship it here, cheap. But, by doing that, I pretty much sacrificed any warranty. (I don't think they're "supposed" to do that--sell beyond their service area; but they did).

The business model in the stove industry is nuts, imo, but thats the way it is. The dealers take all the risk for a flaw created by the factory. hence, the markup. If my stove fails, and the local dealer comes out to fix it, they won't be reimbursed by the factory, because I didn't buy the stove from them. No way the dealer in Chattanooga is sending a tech up here to MA to fix one of their stoves, so...
Imagine if the auto industry worked this way? crazy.
Yup, sure do remember that year, I was running weeks behind on installs, parts were hard to get. Too many factors went into that perfect storm!
Actually at least with Harman/Quad any dealer can do warranty work, its whether they choose to or not. Alot of times when I service someone else's stove I will charge the difference of my hourly rate if the stove is under warranty. This year I believe alot of dealers will be happy to take whatever work there is for them.

08 was something else. HHT has been running ads in local newspaper for Harmon and Quad pellet stoves , how times have changed.

mrplumber said:
thanks for all the info, sometimes the truth sucks
One of the MAIN reasons I switched over from a Avalon stove to the Englander....I now have an almost direct line to Tech service and warranty issues, and some parts are stocked right in Lowes/Home Depot.

check craigslist, was a great deal for myself, xxv for $800, then sold my 1 yr old englander for $400. i had to travel a couple hours and install myself, but all in all, was the deal of the year for me.

balls of fire said:
I'm not disagreeing that your local dealer may be higher priced, however they have to make money to be able to stay in business. Hopefully they will give you service after the sale. You also might want to check out how that online purchase if going to affect your warranty, also might want to consider if you will be able to get a local dealer to service your stove that you purchased online. Sorry if I sound negative about this but it's tough to maintain a brick and mortar store, tougher than most people think. Retail cost isn't based solely on what a retailer buys the product for, there are many other factors that go into determining that price (rent/mortgage, insurance, parts inventory, vehicle maintainence, etc.)

All of the above is very true.....Harman does not specifically NOT allow dealers to sell at a distance, BUT they require the selling dealer to do any warrantee work (thats right, the local guy who you chose not to buy the stove from DOES NOT HAVE to service the unit) ......every once and awhile we get asked to service untis we didnt sell, and we usually do it, as long as we can get money for our travel time, which isnt reimbursed to us by Harman. Of course, we take care of the units we sell first, and the units others sell secondly, but, by and large, most folks are just happy to have someone come out and fix their stove! I would suggest though, that now, at the height of the season, if you ask a non-selling dealer to service the unit, be patient, as its busy right now.

Of course a brick-n-mortar store might be more expensive than you want to pay, but the overhead is fairly high with stoves, often requires licensing, and the cost for the tech certainly isnt at minimum wage.

I bought mine last year and with that $800 tax credit they were running it wasn't too bad to go new. Not sure if they are still doing that. Them having to replace the entire hopper in the first couple months was a whole other story.

Status
Not open for further replies.