Where to find expired LP tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjon

Sep 9, 2012
Im located in holland which is lower west michigan and I am trying to find a source for expired LP tanks for a boiler project. Does anyone have a source in my area? Are the easy to find anywhere? Ive called a number of LP companys around here and no one sells them or even knows of anyone who does.

In NY I believe it is illegal to sell expired propane tanks. In our town you cannot throw them out either. You have to trade them in when you buy the new tank or bring them to the town's resource recovery center(RRC). When I've been to the RRC there is always a pile of them waiting to be purged and recycled. I don't know what their policy would be if somebody took a couple?

KaptJaq

I bought old ones from the pro-PAIN dealer here.

TS

Might try Fischer Tanks in Wellston, MI. They refurbish tanks, and when I was up there they had several 500's marked as "SCRAP", and quite a few smaller tanks. From talking with them, if they have a load coming someplace close to you, you could meet them there and get your tank/s. The day I originally called them, they were delivering to Hopkins Propane, told me too bad they didn't know before hand, coulda dropped mine on the shipment. Just a thought. Good luck!

C&R scrap on the mi ohio border is where i bought mine from. 517-523-3749

Also you could check with Sleddog from this site he might still have some.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.