Where to get galvanized sheet metal for back off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
My fireplace opening is 36x12.5 so i am looking for a sheet at least 38x14.5 Most places i have checked only cary up to 36", any ideas on where to get a larger sheet?

Not sure about galvanized, but i know you can get sheetmetal in most materials up to 48" wide at mcmaster.com

Any HVAC shop that fabs their own ductwork will have 4' x 8' sheets in stock that can be cut to size for you.

Sometimes the local Home Depot will carry half sheets. Ask.

If you can't find a larger sheet just piece it together with two sheets. A block off plate does not need to be pretty, it just needs to be functional. In fact some guys prefer to install them as two parts. In stead of cutting a circular hole in the center you can cut two half circles that overlap to keep a decent seal.

Yea the hvac shop will charge u a pretty penny

The sheets in the duct work section in the back of Lowe's are 36"X24". That is what I used. Cost me around eight bucks a few years ago. I would just use the cuts off the short side pop riveted to the length.

Status
Not open for further replies.