Where to put the chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariposawrick

Dec 27, 2014
Mariposa, California
My next question is concerning where to put the chimney pipe.

The stove will be installed in a corner at the end of the single story building. The roof above the single story attic is a metal peaked roof. It covers a porch under large soffit outside the room. The peak is within 3 feet of the corner where the stove will be. The room where the stove will be is largely under one side of the peaked roof, the stove and the porch outside is under the other side.

This has led me to consider putting the pipe up through the ceiling into the attic space and out through the end wall below the roof, then extending it over the roofline. There is a 2 foot overhang that the pipe will need to clear.

The reasoning behind my thought to use the end wall instead of straight up through the roof is to avoid a hole in the roof. Does this make sense?

Going up through ceiling and out the wall would require offsets, possibly one to get the pipe closer to the wall before it goes up through the ceiling, then definitely a second to reach the wall from the point it pierces the ceiling over the stove. Once outside the pipe needs to be offset to get past the overhang before it is extended up past the roofline near the peak. I am planning to avoid all 90 degree bends and only use 30 degree or less.

Obviously, the alternative is to go straight up through the ceiling to the roof and out.

Your good advice will be helpful. Thanks

I'm with Grisu, straight up. woodheat.org has a nice write up on chimney placement and things to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.