Which are the best pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newpelletpig

Dec 17, 2012
S. Sutton, NH
Let the debate begin!

I have Green Supreme currently, but I didn't know if it matters which premium pellets we use? if the stove matters I have a Hudson River West Point.

Free pellets are the best.

Eric

New guys always get taken advantage of by these guys!!! they distract ya, and next thing you know it you're missing 1/2 ton! Watch out for 'em.

So that's only 2.5 times as much as decent pellets...not too shabby. I'm perplexed if you're defending the Infernos or adding to the sarcasm. Hard to tell in print. Isn't .5 to .3 the general range for high quality pellets?

Green Supremes cause too much maintenance and not enough heat. At least step up to Green Teams.

Here in the south, I have 2 suppliers within 100 miles of me, so I have never tried most of the pellets I read about on here. I've tried 4 brands in the 4 years I've been burning:
Turmans- Great but lots of fines. Very visible through the bags and noticeable pouring into the hopper.
Freedom Fuel- least favorite.
Rocky Mtn- my first pellet. Burned great. loved the smell & the bag handles!
Greenway- what I'm burning now. Love them! Just as good as Turmans with very little dust pouring into the hopper.

Anywhere and every brand costs the same $5.49 per bag or $289 per ton.

I wholesale and retail the sale of pellets and will stick with ProPellets. I have tried a couple other brands but I been selling ProPellets for six years or so and have not found a reason to switch. I do know a few places that will take the cheapest pellet they can find or in some cases any pellet they can find but I have not found a reason to switch.

Eric

Twin port labs has them down at 0.76% ash by weight
1. Twin Ports is one of five PFI accredited labs that they use for testing.
2. Twin Ports is alos the most often used laboratory.
3. Twin Ports charges money for the testing of pellets.
4. Manufacturers need lab reports that show they make a pellet thet will "make the cut."
5. Many manufacturers use Twin Ports Lab.

These are the facts....just saying.

I think the better question, NewPelletPig, is what's the best pellet easily avialable in your area? (Being as you're from NH, I'm curious as well...)

Reactions: jgrz0610
So that's only 2.5 times as much as decent pellets...not too shabby. I'm perplexed if you're defending the Infernos or adding to the sarcasm. Hard to tell in print. Isn't .5 to .3 the general range for high quality pellets?

Like I said until he gets his issues resolved low ash, low density.

I am neither defending or adding sarcasm I just stated the test results. Which by the way are better than they were when Jay did his tests.

He can weigh the information.

I also do not recommend stoves for particular installations, because there is insufficient information provided in almost all cases.

Like I said until he gets his issues resolved low ash, low density.

I am neither defending or adding sarcasm I just stated the test results. Which by the way are better than they were when Jay did his tests.

He can weigh the information.

I also do not recommend stoves for particular installations, because there is insufficient information provided in almost all cases.

I honestly hope Inferno gets it together because there is a huge supply around these parts. From what I read in the forum the general consensus is that the Infernos will improve someday...hopefully next season. Out of curiosity, what effect does the density have on the stove? If too dense does it cause an incomplete burn? That's probably a simple question but I just don't know.

I honestly hope Inferno gets it together because there is a huge supply around these parts. From what I read in the forum the general consensus is that the Infernos will improve someday...hopefully next season. Out of curiosity, what effect does the density have on the stove? If too dense does it cause an incomplete burn? That's probably a simple question but I just don't know.

Dense pellets require more air to be made available to produce a complete burn and eject the ash, the OP has airflow issues at the current time.

Inferno...hands down. ;lol

X2..... ;) With Penningtons Natures Junk followed in 2nd !!!

.....just kidding :) I like Somersets, Pro Pellet, Presto Logs, and AWF (this year they are a very good pellet/new bag too)! All of those are pretty good. Around me there are no Super Premiums (Spruce pointe, Okies, Turmans, :)) I would definitely try some, but these get me along just fine...

X2..... ;) With Penningtons Natures Junk followed in 2nd !!!

.....just kidding :) I like Somersets, Pro Pellet, Presto Logs, and AWF (this year they are a very good pellet/new bag too)! All of those are pretty good. Around me there are no Super Premiums (Spruce pointe, Okies, Turmans, :)) I would definitely try some, but these get me along just fine...

Thought you were taking us on a road trip for some Super Premiums!! Probably only be 500.00/ton when we figure in the gas/food and beer we would need for the journey! LOL

Reactions: DexterDay
Thought you were taking us on a road trip for some Super Premiums!! Probably only be 500.00/ton when we figure in the gas/food and beer we would need for the journey! LOL

That guy still has those Hamers near Mantua. That money is quickly burning a hole in my wallet!!!

I am Super tempted to grab a ton this weekend. Off till Wed...... ;em

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.