which chimney brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffaj01

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2010
Central Indiana
I'm looking at installing a yukon big jack furnace in my basement. I currently have a metalbestos metal chimney running up next to my old masonry chimney. i'm looking to take this chimney out, and replace it with ss. what brand do you guys recommend? I've been looking at a few different manufacturers, like duravent.
let me know what you think

thanks, Jeff

I wonder if you need flex pipe or all rigid? We have a local place called Reliance manufacturing. They stock a flex product called HYPER FLEX. It is super heavy duty and would take a long time to burn out if ever. For the rigid pipe and cap stuff just get good stainless steel the size you want.

I'm a big fan of the ICC excel chimney. I like how they screw together instead of a twist lock/band system, and most of the extra supports/clamps are universal for all sizes, so it is not hard to get. The sections are lighter and easier to work with, and the laser welded seams look a lot nicer (and are alot more waterproof) than the rolled seam most companies use.

I really like my ICC Excel chimney . . . well put together and nicely insulated.

awesome, i will look ICC excel up. i appreciate your input.. i am very new to this wood burning thing, and need all the help i can get!

thanks

Not sure where you're at in central IN, but I've purchased my ICC Excel from Duncans Fireplace. They're on N High School Rd & 38th St. Scullys, in Noblesville, carrys it too. It's a littel pricey, but it's quality stuff.

There are several online dealers that you can get the Simpson Duratech/Duravent line for several hundred cheaper. I'm using some of this too. Once you figure out what you need check all resources...local & online.

I thought the metal-bestos was pretty good stuff. If its in good shape why change?

gasavage, i'm in colfax, which is about 30 minutes south of you. i drive to indy every once in a while, so if i decide to go with the ICC I will check out duncans.

Hanko, will the metalbestos work for the big jack? if it will, i will keep it; clean it out good, and use it. i dont even know if it is double wall or not, i need to check.

thanks guys!

jeffaj01 said:
gasavage, i'm in colfax, which is about 30 minutes south of you. i drive to indy every once in a while, so if i decide to go with the ICC I will check out duncans.

Hanko, will the metalbestos work for the big jack? if it will, i will keep it; clean it out good, and use it. i dont even know if it is double wall or not, i need to check.

thanks guys!

I guess Id ask the dude from yukon. Metal bestos at one time was the best chit around. before you buy the yukon, check the energy king from empire distributing. Its the only EPA certified add on furnace that has the $1500 tax credit. I never was all that impressed with the yukon.

Status
Not open for further replies.