Which saw would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
My old poulan pro has been acting up and finally quit oiling the chain. I posted in another thread my attempts to fix it but it's looking like it's not going to be worth it. I thought it was 7 years old but looking back it turns out its actually close to 11 years old, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. My budget needs to stay under $300 and I'm mainly looking at a 16 inch saw, maybe 40 to 50 cc's. I was looking at either the Husky 440 or the echo cs370, both of them are around $270. Which one of those would you pick, or would you pick a different model altogether for around the same price?

Stihl MS250, under 300 bucks, 45CC,,,16 or 18 inch bar. Do a search and see what the experts on here say......

Tight budjet but look on craiglist you may get a prosaw around X-mass time for that.

Gasifier said:
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS290.html

Alright, you can't get a better saw by posting it twice you know. :lol:

Yeah, I don't know what happened but I just got an email on my phone that a moderator had to merge 2 threads together. Just after I posted my question my computer flipped out and shut down, I'm typing this on my wife's laptop right now as my computer seems to have had a sudden heart attack and won't turn back on now.

Haha! Just found this new thread after I found a tool and posted in your old thread! Oh well, could be useful info for someone else some day!

smokinjay said:
Tight budjet but look on craiglist you may get a prosaw around X-mass time for that.

+1

This is a great time of year to pick up used tools, especially with the economy hurting the way it is. I can go back 25 years, with me broke just before Christmas and selling a nice '51 Martin guitar to get gifts for the kids. I practically cried the next day, but the kids' faces Christmas morning took a lot of the sting out. And don't feel bad about doing it. I could have kissed the guy who helped me out of my git box that year. I wouldn't have sold it if I didn't want to. If you don't buy it, somebody else will.

I was torn between saws for a while. I have problems with my right hand and ended up going with the Husq. over the Stihl based on the un-matchable antivibration of the Husky. I think this is because they are the only company I've ever seen that mounts the handle to the gas tank and not the motor.... so a lot less vibration with the Husky's. The only problem I ever had with mine was the original corrigated gas line to the primer bulb cracked, and after switching that out to a normal line, Its been going strong ever since.

Joey said:
Stihl MS250, under 300 bucks, 45CC,,,16 or 18 inch bar. Do a search and see what the experts on here say......

+1

smokinjay said:

I'd have to agree. Now that I know a little bit more about saws I'd venture into the used market. Originally I bought new because (I had my old one stuck in a wedge and needed another one to get it out!) of safety concerns and new vs old equipment. An MS260pro would be my one and only saw if I was to have a one and only saw. Right now I'm thinking bigger/smaller would be the best choice.

kingston73 said:
My old poulan pro has been acting up and finally quit oiling the chain. I posted in another thread my attempts to fix it but it's looking like it's not going to be worth it. I thought it was 7 years old but looking back it turns out its actually close to 11 years old, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. My budget needs to stay under $300 and I'm mainly looking at a 16 inch saw, maybe 40 to 50 cc's. I was looking at either the Husky 440 or the echo cs370, both of them are around $270. Which one of those would you pick, or would you pick a different model altogether for around the same price?

Buy the servicing dealer as this purchase will likely last you a long time. This saw will be worth a small fix in the future (unlike the poulan pro), so have a dealer you are comfortable with.

Stihl 250
Husvarna/Jonsered 445
Whatever the Dolmar model is
and I have heard decent things about the echo 370 (not my choice but if you have a good echo dealer, may be worth a look)

The MS250 I have is rock solid, and I'm not sure you'll hear much in the way of complaints about it. Good price, nice power:weight ratio, and reliable. Good combination.

S

I can't stress enough how good a deal the MS250 is at $299. Might be $289 somewhere with a 16" on it.

How about checking out the girl no the 445 from Husqvarna.I purchased this model with a 16 BC Plenty of power for the size of it, and it has near zero vibration.Is a one pull machine when warm.The balance for me is near perfect. Great throttle response Attractive figure or price is what I meant.Ken

Attachments

• DSCN0020.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 526
It's funny you mention that, I was just cruising craigslist and found a 445 for $275, supposedly new and still in the box. I feel like that's a bit high for a craigslist ad but decent price for a new saw?

Good saw, but pass on that CL one. Pretty sure that about what they run new with warranty. Who sells a NIB chainsaw? Probably stolen, lol. Offer them 200 and see what they say.

Just thought I'd post back and let y'all know what I ended up getting myself. I got a bit of money for christmas and found a great deal on a factory-refurbished husky at a dealer near me. It's a 445, looks new and I haven't had time to actually use it yet, but there's still about a half dozen trees left over from back in august (irene) that I haven't gotten to yet so those are first on my list. I put my poulan back together and I'm going to try running some seafoam in the chain oil and see if that helps clear things up, if not I may post it on craigslist. I didn't want to spend $15 for a single use tool that may or may not fix it, I'm sure somebody can if the seafoam doesn't work.

FWIW, ECHO.....echo..echo. Been running them hard for 25+ years and never an issue. Not an overly pricey machine but have been a great running and almost bulletproof saw. Myoldest and most abused is a 306 that has cut and trimmed over 20 years with nothing more than basic maintenance. My x wife is still using a top handle version that I bought when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. enough said Happy New Year everyone!!

kingston73 said:
Just thought I'd post back and let y'all know what I ended up getting myself. I got a bit of money for christmas and found a great deal on a factory-refurbished husky at a dealer near me. It's a 445, looks new and I haven't had time to actually use it yet, but there's still about a half dozen trees left over from back in august (irene) that I haven't gotten to yet so those are first on my list. I put my poulan back together and I'm going to try running some seafoam in the chain oil and see if that helps clear things up, if not I may post it on craigslist. I didn't want to spend $15 for a single use tool that may or may not fix it, I'm sure somebody can if the seafoam doesn't work.
Good choice, I have a hard time getting around the made in China Stihls. This is just me though as the Chinese can make any quality they want to make, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
kingston73 said:
Good choice, I have a hard time getting around the made in China Stihls. This is just me though as the Chinese can make any quality they want to make, Randy

Randy, I'm not aware of Stihl making any saws in China, just Zama carbs. All saws are manufactured in Virginia Beach VA and Germany, Bars are made in VA now too and chain manufactured in Sweden IIRC. Has that changed?

MasterMech said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
kingston73 said:

Randy, I'm not aware of Stihl making any saws in China, just Zama carbs. All saws are manufactured in Virginia Beach VA and Germany, Bars are made in VA now too and chain manufactured in Sweden IIRC. Has that changed?
MM, Last I heard Stihl was making saws in China except for the large pro saws. I'll try to find out more, Randy

Stihl completed their factory in Quingdao China in about 2005. Production started with brush cutters in 2006. Per a Stihl press release(Google search) hedge trimmers & chainsaws will follow with output to reach 1 million engines by 2011./// I've been to the Stihl dealer many times & if they were made in VA they would sure have a made in the USA sticker somewhere. The ones I saw had no country of origin. It's sure possible that some saws are made in the USA, also that the engine is assembled in China & brought over & the rest of the assembly done here. It's hard to tell MM, Randy

Check their serials Randy, 1st digit. 1 = Germany 2= Virginia Beach, I don't know the other factory codes.

This quote is from Stihl's website (link below): "In 1974 STIHL opened its Virginia Beach, Va. plant. We now produce almost 200 different models of chain saws and power tools for more than 80 countries."

For an aerial view of the Stihl factory in Virginia Beach, do a Google search for "536 Viking Drive, Virginia Beach, VA". Switch to satellite view and you'll see a huge factory. Except for the Chartway Federal Credit Union, they occupy all the land bounded by the canal, Avenger Drive, Lynnhaven Parkway, and International Parkway. Twenty to thirty tractor/trailers parked at the warehouse in the upper left.

http://www.stihlusa.com/more.html

Status
Not open for further replies.