Whitfield Adv II - auger grease/bushing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vforce

Sep 1, 2010
Eastern Pa.
Hi, have 1993 Whit Avantge II. I am in process of ordering a new auger drive motor to replace original.

I also removed the auger, and noted it had no grease at the upper or lower bushing/bearing area.
Q1 - Does the auger get install dry - no lube? (I have some very hi temp nickle antiseize).

Also, had some excessive clearance in ID of the (original) lower auger bushing (bronze). I was going to order a new bronze bushing,
but now see that Whitfield offers a nylontype in addition to the bronze.
Q2 - Can anyone offer their experience on durability of the nylon type bushing? Is it at least comparable to the bronze?

This stove only gets a lite workout each winter compared to what I see most of you doing, but it has been running on all original parts up to now.

Thanks for any input.,

Pellet King - auger performance started to drop off last winter - could hear motor spinning, but on some occasions no pellets were dropping (or sometimes not enough to keep fire going at highest setting). Had checked the auger back then auger for dust/stuck pellets - all clear. Coupling collar was OK, etc....Just seemed as if motor had lost its torque ability. It is an inset model, so pretty much impossible to watch it run. Fast forward to today - I pulled the insetr and gearbox down, opened up and found dryed out grease, and looks like not getting real good contact between the gearsets. I regreased and reassembled the gears tonite, I also replaced the fiber washer /spacerunder the motor rotor - slightly worn, but not by much. Will reinstall tomorrow and see if it works with a hopperfull of pellets. Hopefully will have same success as you did.
Oh, I did find the Wood Heat video tonite for the auger maintenance (thankyou). Well that answered the lube question (lube not recommended). The series of maintenace videos you provided are great.

regards all,

I lubed my upper bearing, does not come in contact with the pellets, let us know how she drop's now.

Motor still not happy (noisy gearbox, erratic pellet drop). Appears one of the non metallic gears in the gearbox is not longer makng good contact with the motor input splines. In the meantime, ordered a replacement from Wood Heat Stoves. Still not a bad track record for this stove, 1 auger motor and a few gaskets in 17 years. Appreciate everyone input here, and look forward to some contiud good reading on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.