Whitfield advantage ll, burning to fast.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoth

Dec 26, 2013
Ct.
Have a Whitfield advantage ll fireplace insert, have had for 15 years, last couple of years noticed that the stove seems to be burning hotter and faster. With stove set to 1 on auger it burns like it would on 3. Stove is thoroughly cleaned at start of season (pipe, behind panels, etc) and daily for burn area and monthly behind panels. I have tried damper and trim adjustments with no luck. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this would be appreciated

are you using double the pellets? if not start checking gaskets for airleak

Pellet consumption is up, what happens is the auger comes on with the red light, after light goes out the auger continues to rotate (coast). For about a second to 2 seconds. I confirmed that the auger continues to rotate both visually and by feeling it move at the auger motor end.

Ive owned to Whit's over the years, great stoves. Best thing to do is remove the auger and check the bushing on the end where the auger goes into stove. If the bushing is wiped out more pellets will feed than required. Also time how long it takes for the motor to turn one complete revolution. The motor with make one complete revolution per minute. I would recommend safely hooking up an old extension cord with two terminals that match the motors connector ( any hardware or HD ). If the motor is turning to fast, the problem is the motor. If not there may be an issue with the control board is pulsing the motor more than it should.

My same stove is either too hot on a 3 or too cold on a 2, roaring flame on a 3, or up and on on a 2, you can adjust your auger trim screw, but having your auger spin after the light is off is not right, get a volt meter and measure the voltage it should be close to 120v on and off abruptly, soinds like a control board issue, weird one fer sure

Status
Not open for further replies.