whitfield optima 3 shutting down after 20 mins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie963

Dec 30, 2010
south east MA
hi,

My brother in law has a whitfield optima 3 stove which is about 10 years old. this fall it did not run, it would shut down after 20 mins. a friend who is very knowledgable tore it down and cleaned everything. fired it up again and the same problem. they replaced the control module, same result. this was after talking to lenox who suggested a new board. at this point I got involved. the room heat fan would shut down at about 20 mins as well. I blew out the motor, thinking it was shutting down on thermal overload. bench tested the motor for about 40 mins after cleaning it ran great. reinstalled the motor and the same problem. all overtemp limit sensors are testing fine, a new flame eye and another new control board has been installed. still the same problem. We are all at a loss.

any ideas. it is starting to get cold out!!!

bernie

Perhaps it is the POF thermal disc, try jumpering it.

It is bypassed until the controller thinks it has a fire going, if the switch isn't closed as soon as the timer in the controller says it is time the bypass is removed and then the stove controller says whoops no fire shutdown.

thanks, as i understand it, with all limit switches jumped it still shuts down at about 20 mins. but after two replacement controllers, i wonder???

bernie963 said:
thanks, as i understand it, with all limit switches jumped it still shuts down at about 20 mins. but after two replacement controllers, i wonder???

Wiring.

Vaccum switch.

Either the lead to the switch is clogged w/ ash, or the vac swith itself is broke.

summit said:
Vaccum switch.
I tend to agree with this.....try removing the vacuum hose, blow it out to make sure it's clear, and also clean out the hose barb it attaches to.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
pretty typical photo eye symptom

i emailed the svc book :)

Yup, which is also a proof of fire system only optical.

yeah, but it doesn't get jumped the same way, and is likely just dirty( the stove came with a special brush to clean the filter(the filter is a postage stamp sized tinted glass, that gets dusty)

Wood Heat Stoves said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:

yeah, but it doesn't get jumped the same way, and is likely just dirty( the stove came with a special brush to clean the filter(the filter is a postage stamp sized tinted glass, that gets dusty)

One also needs to remember there are three sides of things to clean, the filter both front and back, and the front of the photo eye.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:

One also needs to remember there are three sides of things to clean, the filter both front and back, and the front of the photo eye.

true, but 90% of the time its just the front. if you have to remove it,

be careful not to break the glass filter, lennox wants a stupid amount of money for a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.