Who burns 24/7?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll burn 24/7 just so I don't have to mess around with kindling a new fire everyday!

We burn 24/7, when it's cold enough outside. The rest of the schedule is ad hoc depending on what nature serves up that day or night.

24/7 burner here. It is easier to keep it going than restarting it. One thing that everyone agrees with is that buying oil sucks!

Unless we are MIA (which has been about 5 or 6 days total in the winter in the last 5 years) the wood stove heats the house. That means 24/7 for as long as it's needed.

pen

Burn when we are cold. No other heat source for 27 years. But some dick here reminds me every year that we aren't near Canada so we don't need to know how to heat with wood. I hope to figure out how to do it someday. >> If we ever need heat.

Reactions: Jack Straw
I do, but what I'm doing different from last year, I plan on keeping the oil burner off. I can get usuable heat for overnight, but there will be extremely cold and windy nights when the wife and I will take turns every other night to get up to restoke the fire. I remember last year near morning hearing the oil kick in, and I would jump out of bed to get the stove going. I just plain dont want to depend on oil for heating. Be well

Me in the basement dead of winter to keep the pipes from freezing. Stove is situated under the pipe chase. I keep it on idle - unless im down there sitting in front of it to get warm - or watching 2ndaries (hypnotic time waster) - Then I crank it up.

Burn when we are cold. No other heat source for 27 years. But some dick here reminds me every year that we aren't near Canada so we don't need to know how to heat with wood. I hope to figure out how to do it someday. >> If we ever need heat.

Wasnt me!! ;lol

Same here with the no other heat source,but only been running 24/7 for 10 years ;)

loon

Wasnt me!! ;lol

Same here with the no other heat source,but only been running 24/7 for 10 years ;)

loon
Me either, been burning 24/7 for 14 years now. Besides, up here we don't have any dicks, they are all called RICHARD............................!

Reactions: HatboroPaul
I have been burning 24/7 since 2008 in a rockland 500c. only use oil for domestic hot water. Plenty of wood for the winter.

Hi,
New to the forum and new to the wood stove thing. Thanks for this site and all the helpful information. I have the Shelburne and on the weekends I try to keep the stove going 24 hours a day but have a hard time keeping it going. Im still learning the air control on the unit. The air control movement is slim and I really need to figure it out. The amount of time the wife and I are out of the house makes it hard to burn it 24 a day during the week, shes gone for 10 1/2 and me about 12. Any suggestion on better ways to burn 24/7 would be appreciated

Not yet 'cause I'm not in Canada;)
With no oil in the kitty for almost two years, the only back-up we have is a couple of plug in radiators. The 30 made that possible, as I'm away from home about 10 hours a day.

Hi,
New to the forum and new to the wood stove thing. Thanks for this site and all the helpful information. I have the Shelburne and on the weekends I try to keep the stove going 24 hours a day but have a hard time keeping it going. Im still learning the air control on the unit. The air control movement is slim and I really need to figure it out. The amount of time the wife and I are out of the house makes it hard to burn it 24 a day during the week, shes gone for 10 1/2 and me about 12. Any suggestion on better ways to burn 24/7 would be appreciated
I think the question truly should be "Who only heats with wood?"

Have been burning 24/7 for years and the Jotul 118 bear is easy to keep going, its always still going the next day.
Infact this year there has only been a total of about 7 weeks where we didnt have the stove burning! We have an electric boiler as a back up

Burn when we are cold. No other heat source for 27 years. But some dick here reminds me every year
that we aren't near Canada so we don't need to know how to heat with wood. I hope to figure out how to do it someday. >> If we ever need heat.

Apparently there's some magical insulating shield along the 49th parallel. On the Canadian side, very cold, but as soon as you put your change in the toll booth crossing over, it's suddenly tropical.

By the above logic, we Canadians don't need wood stoves either, just need to take a drive across to Michigan, Washington, New York, Minnesota, etc. - you know, all those "warm" places.

I recall sitting in my living room over the last few years watching the weather reports showing folks e.g. in the mid-west getting wrecked, while we sailed thru another relatively mild winter here. Old man winter knows no borders.

On a side note, maybe somewhat related to the magical powers of the 49th, I really really really wanted to buy a stove from a US dealer - in Washington - a Kent (Rose Bay I think it was) - but my insurance company put the binders on that one on a technicality.

Apparently there's some magical insulating shield along the 49th parallel. On the Canadian side, very cold, but as soon as you put your change in the toll booth crossing over, it's suddenly tropical.

By the above logic, we Canadians don't need wood stoves either, just need to take a drive across to Michigan, Washington, New York, Minnesota, etc. - you know, all those "warm" places.

I recall sitting in my living room over the last few years watching the weather reports showing folks e.g. in the mid-west getting wrecked, while we sailed thru another relatively mild winter here. Old man winter knows no borders.

On a side note, maybe somewhat related to the magical powers of the 49th, I really really really wanted to buy a stove from a US dealer - in Washington - a Kent (Rose Bay I think it was) - but my insurance company put the binders on that one on a technicality.

Uh...ever see the jokes about Buffalo (like that new stupid Tabasco commercial...like anyone from Buffalo would use Tabasco instead of Franks anyway, lol)? Apparently either that particular city moved across the lake or the shield doesn't kick in until you leave WNY....

WellSeasoned said: ↑
I do, but what I'm doing different from last year, I plan on keeping the oil burner off. I can get usuable heat for overnight, but there will be extremely cold and windy nights when the wife and I will take turns every other night to get up to restoke the fire. I remember last year near morning hearing the oil kick in, and

Take turns? Oh no way...DH runs the stove all day (he works from home, lucky), the only time I really get to play with it is if it needs a middle of the night restoking. I so totally am in charge of that. That is, if it gets cool enough in the Cottage to wake me up (usually nights when the wind whips up off the take and takes direct aim at us).

Take turns? Oh no way...DH runs the stove all day (he works from home, lucky), the only time I really get to play with it is if it needs a middle of the night restoking. I so totally am in charge of that. That is, if it gets cool enough in the Cottage to wake me up (usually nights when the wind whips up off the take and takes direct aim at us).
Am I the only pervert who laughed at this???

Reactions: PapaDave
Am I the only pervert who laughed at this???

Dirty dog...get yer mind outta the ash pit!

At least I said stove...not wood.

Shesh...

Reactions: PapaDave
Sorry, it's been a long day at work, sitting alone with my thoughts.

I burned 24/7 during the burn season when I was just using the Pacific Energy Super 27. But it could not keep up when things started actually getting cold. Most of the time when it was cold it would only heat about 70% of the house. But that was a real nice savings on the oil bill.

Now I burn a fire in the Gassification boiler whenever the demand is there. No more oil. I even burn spring, summer, and fall for all of our domestic hot water needs. Since last October 1st, 2011 the only oil we have used is when we went away for a day or two and had to shut the wood boiler down. I am almost completely off of oil now. This is probably as close as I will get. Have to keep the house from freezing when we leave. It is very nice to see the oil trucks continue on past my house when they go down the road. I like waving goodbye to them.

images

Alright. Maybe I don't look as good as she does, but.... She's dressed webbie. She's dressed. ;lol

It wasn't super cold last season, so most of the time the mrs and i didn't have to switch every other night. Maybe a couple nights a week here and there. When it's awful cold and windy out, thats when we do. Whats nice, the longer the stove runs with that radiant heat, everything warms up, couch, walls, floors, ect. This helps keeping the house warmer at night.

24/7 here.

$40 a month power bills!! wow do you live there? Ours run near $100/month without any heat or ac useage.

My farm house on months that im not there will run around $30/month. All thats on in the house is a CFL on a timer to run 6-8 hours a day, 2-3 alarm clocks, a refridge and a freezer. Everything else is off including water heater!!

Status
Not open for further replies.