Who else is 1 year away from seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
I figured if you cut down dead standing trees, that was dry enough to burn. Then I bought an EPA stove and it doesnt like to burn that wood much. I learned about seasoning wood, getting a year ahead.

Had to buy a grapple load of wood so I could c/s/s to get a year ahead. I actually like buying wood. I get it at a good price, and it saves me a ton of work.

Now next year, I can start burning seasoned wood. Never did that before. Looking forward to longer, hotter, easier fires.

Ja, I do likewise but I try to stay further ahead by getting 2 or 3 years worth in a truckload. Last 2 truckloads I got was in 2008 and 2009 so right now I'm burning 3 and 4 year seasoned wood and I still have enough of it for next Winter. I am waiting on a grapple load now that I will then be burning in the Winter of 2013/2014 and 2014/2015.

sebring said:
I figured if you cut down dead standing trees, that was dry enough to burn. Then I bought an EPA stove and it doesnt like to burn that wood much. I learned about seasoning wood, getting a year ahead.

Had to buy a grapple load of wood so I could c/s/s to get a year ahead. I actually like buying wood. I get it at a good price, and it saves me a ton of work.

Now next year, I can start burning seasoned wood. Never did that before. Looking forward to longer, hotter, easier fires.

A little self-improvement in vocabulary:
Drop all instances of "seasoned"; replace with "dry"; rework context. Why? "Seasoned" has only the vaguest, fuzziest meaning, and serves as an enabler of scams. It's yes/no. Simply put, it's BS.

"Dry" can be quantified, by moisture content (MC) as an infinite continuum of values. With less being "more." It has legal standing.

I'm just about starting the stacks for 2016/2017. I've worked hard to get well ahead, and next year will be my first year burning 4 year old wood (red oak mainly). All wood will be 4 years in the stack (minimum) if I can keep replacing whatever I burn per year from this point onward. Cheers!

CTYank said:
"Dry" can be quantified, by moisture content (MC) as an infinite continuum of values. With less being "more." It has legal standing.
Ja, but then nobody actually quantifies it. Some operations use kilns to heat treat wood in order to kill the bugs so that they can transport it, and then sell it as "kiln dried".

Kiln dried is as abused a term as is seasoned.

sebring said:

When you get 2-3 years ahead you will be amazed at the difference plus the peace of mind. We're cutting for 2019-2020 (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.