Who else is throwing in the towel early and closing up their pellet burner for the season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisWNY

Feeling the Heat
Add me as one of those who is likely done burning for the season. We may get the occasional cold snap later in March or even in early April (which doesn't matter much because the family and I are gone in SW FL most of April), but I think it's time to shut her down for the season. I went through about 1.5 tons of pellets this season, I expected to burn through over 2 tons. I only burn during evenings as no one is home during the day, and on weekends, so my pellet consumption is low to moderate at best. With 70s in the forecast next week, it seems like Spring is here real early this year. March 2011 was not as mild as this March has been, but it wasn't bad (we didn't have much measurable snow).

Anyone else closing down their pellet burning operations within the next week or two?

ChrisWNY said:
Add me as one of those who is likely done burning for the season. We may get the occasional cold snap later in March or even in early April (which doesn't matter much because the family and I are gone in SW FL most of April), but I think it's time to shut her down for the season. I went through about 1.5 tons of pellets this season, I expected to burn through over 2 tons. I only burn during evenings as no one is home during the day, and on weekends, so my pellet consumption is low to moderate at best. With 70s in the forecast next week, it seems like Spring is here real early this year. March 2011 was not as mild as this March has been, but it wasn't bad (we didn't have much measurable snow).

Anyone else closing down their pellet burning operations within the next week or two?

getting there but not quite. Did you use any other fuel for heat or only pellets? I also only burned evenings/overnight and weekends (while we were home). 2200+ sf and have burned just over 2 tons. We used oil for heat only a couple times (while away for a couple days twice) and I ran it a bunch of times for just a couple minutes on the colder mornings to make sure pipes wouldn't freeze. I probably worry about that too much but I'd rather burn a little oil than have to cleanup a burst pipe....

Yes, I will be having both my Harman's cleaned within two weeks. In fact, I should be cutting grass here in the next day or to. My neighbor already beat me to it.

I'm done... Supposed to be almost 80 the next few days.

give her a good clean and plug her up

I only burned 67 bags all winter.. Never turned the downstairs heat pump on. Our temps averaged 5-6 degrees above normal all winter.

nope, I still think Wisconsin's got a little winter left in her.

we burn 24/7. It was weird the first couple weeks, but really there was a flame going in the furnace too, I just did't see it.

mepellet said:
getting there but not quite. Did you use any other fuel for heat or only pellets? I also only burned evenings/overnight and weekends (while we were home). 2200+ sf and have burned just over 2 tons. We used oil for heat only a couple times (while away for a couple days twice) and I ran it a bunch of times for just a couple minutes on the colder mornings to make sure pipes wouldn't freeze. I probably worry about that too much but I'd rather burn a little oil than have to cleanup a burst pipe....

We have a 100k BTU LP Gas furnace (built my house 4 years ago, so it's well-insulated and exceeds all the energy star bs). I avoid using LP gas like the plague for heating, but do run the LP gas furnace once or twice on milder days (above 40°F) to boost the temp a few degrees if it's chilly inside my house. On cold Winter days, pellet heat is the rule and LP gas is the exception. Based on next week's forecast with temps approaching 80°F by Monday, who knows, I might have to run the Central AC.

Wife likes it toasty, Harman comes on at sunset and the Encore if she joins me in the living room.

pretty sure it will be well into april before i shut it down.

but it is nice to not be running 24/7 every day.
though there are still spans of that. even if on low for much of the day.

Still cool and damp evenings here in Vermont so I'm still burning mine at night. But that may end soon. Then again, winter could throw us a curve at any time.

Tom

burnin her on low at night and using as a dehumidifier.

As stated this morning on WMUR, we have had snow as late as mid May; not shutting down just yet. Anyone that wants to test Mother Nature regarding this winter, remember 10/31/11 and hope your HHO is filled...just in case. Hopefully I am wrong as it is 70 degrees again today: WOO HOO !!!

Still using mine. Runs for a little in the evening, and starts again in the morning for a short time.

I live in the mid-Atlantic, so I always shut mine down for the season in March. Sometimes early March, sometimes later in the month...depends on how many pellets I have left. This is the first year in the 8 years I've had a pellet stove that I'll end up with pellets left over at the end of a season. The mildest winter I can ever remember.

Let us know how that works for you. I know I burned mine last May. This is completing our 5th year with the valve on the LP furnace remaining closed.

Eric

oldmountvernon said:
im not using any oil so it ends when it ends

Ditto!

gymrat0663 said:
oldmountvernon said:

Ditto!

X2!!!!

Aint no way in heck I'm turning on the electric!! My stove is set on 70ºF during the warmer months. It will fire off when needed to take the chill off and I'm still saving tons of cash! I'll prolly turn the unit off and pull the plug come May 15th. Do my season full blast cleaning and be ready for next fall.

Well it's been completely off for several days
but not sure if I'll be buttoning it up for the
season just yet. New England can throw
some real curve balls at us so gonna keep
my options open for a little while longer.

jtakeman said:
gymrat0663 said:
oldmountvernon said:

Ditto!

X2!!!!

Aint no way in heck I'm turning on the electric!! My stove is set on 70ºF during the warmer months. It will fire off when needed to take the chill off and I'm still saving tons of cash! I'll prolly turn the unit off and pull the plug come May 15th. Do my season full blast cleaning and be ready for next fall.

Yep. Several years with ZERO LP usage. I bought my pellet stoves to heat my home 100%. Also why they have t-stats and auto ignition.....

When its cold the Quad fires up. When its warm, it shuts off... ;-P

Not over until it doesnt kick on, or June comes...

oldmountvernon said:
This thread has me looking outside at my grass... my other obsession, dont know if you guys know what Poa Annua is but what a battle that stuff is

Im just as OCD about my yard, as I am my Firewood stacks and my Pellet obsession. Lines have to be straight and on the right angles... ;-P

Attachments

• index-37.jpeg
    index-37.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 349
Always the usual suspects........ Wait.. Where is Jay?? ;-P

Sorry Chris...

Attachments

• index-19.jpeg
    index-19.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 310
Dang OMV, Wish my lawn was a green as yours! Mines a brown mess right now. Dethatched yesterday afternoon and did the weed and feed. Got some rain this morning, But still drab brown!

I got crabs! Crab grass that is! My neighbor doesn't give a hoot and it keeps spreading to mine. he wasn't home I spread the crab killer on most of his too! ;-P

Edit: I'm here fello thread wrecker!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.