Why are honey locusts so hostile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They suck to process....its best if you can to girdle them a year or so prior to processing them....the bark loosens up and the thorns are much easier to remove.

I use the top of the bar to go down the trunk and limbs and remove the thorns. It throws them away from you. Be careful where you step though. They can easily puncture boots.

Reactions: Jeffm1
It's interesting that their defense systems are still in place for so long after the threat is gone.

Lol

It's interesting that their defense systems are still in place for so long after the threat is gone.
Their "defense system" is just happen stance. It wasn't specifically developed to to defend against threats. Its because of these characteristics that it survived. Survival of the fittest!

Those dang things are not defense they are a full frontal attack

Their "defense system" is just happen stance. It wasn't specifically developed to to defend against threats. Its because of these characteristics that it survived. Survival of the fittest!
It appears to have evolved this defense mechanism because it was the favorite food of certain megafauna that are no longer on the planet. This would make sense, particularly if the seed pods attracted these beasts. It's an interesting study though the genetics of which are above my pay grade.
https://permies.com/t/16353/Black-Honey-Locust-trees-thorns

I just ordered 100 of the thornless variety (amongst 500 other trees). They say a few will have thorns. Hopefully when they start seeding they stay seedless.

Honey locust - subsequent generations from a thorn-less variety tend to revert to their true nasty disposition. Couple miles up the road from me ,property owner has planted an entire grove of black locust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Don.S
Honey locust - subsequent generations from a thorn-less variety tend to revert to their true nasty disposition. Couple miles up the road from me ,property owner has planted an entire grove of black locust.

Hopefully i don't have a problem on my hands in 20 years. I actually at first wanted to plant black locust but most of the bare root stock is sold out everywhere by now. I am starting a hedge of trees along about 1800 feet of road frontage. Honey Locust, Silver Maple, Black Cherry, Osage Orange, Black Walnut (probably a grove on it's own), some other stuff too, but I picked those for good quality firewood and fast growth. Silver Maple because I think it's such a nice looking tree.

In the desert regions like near Phoenix, just about everything will either poke, stab, hook, poison, or bite. Honey locust would fit right in. Down there, one thing I can't figure out is how soft skinned things like white tail deer and coyotes can even survive at all amongst all the deadly plants and other animals around. Funny they don't just get burried in cling on cholla or barrel cactus fish hooks.

Edit:

Read the article. Mastadons? Hmm. Evolutionary defenses to Gomphotheres of the order Proboscidea. I'll never look at a tree with thorns the same again. The connections implied were very interesting.

Last edited:
Interesting .......no. Troubling.........yes if you cling to the theory of evolutionary process. A theory that doesnt even follow its own discipline's method for discovering and explaining natural phenomena. If evolutionary process was valid or legitimate the thorns would shown signs of diminishment, not show prolific reoccurrence in genetically strained trees.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Reading the articles the authors indicate that there may be secondary benefits from the thorns that help them persist.

Reading the articles the authors indicate that there may be secondary benefits from the thorns that help them persist.

All I know is that I am clearing them out of my land, and will eliminate everyone. People say they are good burning, but for me it's not worth the hassle.

Wish I was closer. I'd take the wood gladly.

All I know is that I am clearing them out of my land, and will eliminate everyone. People say they are good burning, but for me it's not worth the hassle.

They are also nitrogen fixers. They make all other trees and plants around them grow better. I wish I had even one on my acreage.

search
Wish I was closer. I'd take the wood gladly.

BG, have you ever seen the thorns on these trees, the trunk is literally covered in 3" long spikes. Nasty to deal with.

BG, have you ever seen the thorns on these trees, the trunk is literally covered in 3" long spikes. Nasty to deal with.
Yes, sounds nasty. Fortunately I haven't encountered a forest of these trees. I have read of folks cutting a couple rings around the trunk and injecting herbicide into the lower ring. After 2-3 years the bark and thorns fall off.

Yes, sounds nasty. Fortunately I haven't encountered a forest of these trees. I have read of folks cutting a couple rings around the trunk and injecting herbicide into the lower ring. After 2-3 years the bark and thorns fall off.

That's not a bad idea, time is on my side. I'll look into that.

If you use the top of your bar the thorns will get thrown away from you. The thorns are generally just on the trunk. It works out well. I have cut several and it is well worth it, imho.

I thought those thorns were there for convenience to clean out oiler holes & chain slot in the bar. ;)

Buddy of mine has piles of these on his ground along the river bottom. He runs a ring around the bottom as mentioned. Leaves them stand 2-3 years and then processes them after the thorns have dropped. He's been doing it this way for years. Works well for him. Still tough on anything rubber wheeled getting the stuff out of the woods!

I have burned lots of the thornless variety and Black and Honey Locust. The thornless variety wood is not similar at all to the Black or Honey Locust. It still burns okay but does not have the BTU's or burn time of the thorny versions. I don't know how that variety got that way. The thornless offspring in my area do not have thorns on them btw. Kevin