Why are honey locusts so hostile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Evolution actually follows its own rules perfectly. Species do not evolve a trait for no reason unless it is a simple one genetically and has no negative impact (like blue eye color). This generally occurs through genetic drift from a neutral mutation. However, a trait will not go away unless there is enough selective pressure to to do so before reproduction. The thorns do not cause any negative selective pressures, therefor they do not go away. Goosebumps do nothing for you anymore, but the muscles that raise your hairs and cause them (erector polo) never had enough pressure to go away, so you still get goosebumps when you’re cold or excited.
So, until enough people cut down all honey locust with thorns as soon as they ID them, and then do it for many generations, we’re “stuck” with them lol.

Those dang things are not defense they are a full frontal attack

The massive thorny array as seen in the ops linked picture is a vestige of a rudimentary digestive system this tree had many eons ago when it was a phytocarnivour. Rodentia, lizards, birds and the like would find their way into the thorny web, being attracted by the honey fragrance. The thorny appendages would engulf the pray. Digestive enzymes were released from the zygospores at the tips of the penetrating thrones. The zygospores would also serve as deturis suckubesi to ingest the decomposed flesh as it was slowly digested. It was a slow process, but in concert with photosynthesis it kept the locust species strong and vibrant. Over time with natural selection most all carnivorous trees developed into phototropic plants.

Evolution actually follows its own rules perfectly. Species do not evolve a trait for no reason unless it is a simple one genetically and has no negative impact (like blue eye color). This generally occurs through genetic drift from a neutral mutation. However, a trait will not go away unless there is enough selective pressure to to do so before reproduction. The thorns do not cause any negative selective pressures, therefor they do not go away. Goosebumps do nothing for you anymore, but the muscles that raise your hairs and cause them (erector polo) never had enough pressure to go away, so you still get goosebumps when you’re cold or excited.
So, until enough people cut down all honey locust with thorns as soon as they ID them, and then do it for many generations, we’re “stuck” with them lol.

Goosebumps are still valuable for us. They disrupt the boundary layer heat transfer which is significant in keeping us warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fortunate to have a lot of honey locust! The thorns are so tough that I find them Inside the split and they are still hard and sharp!

Attachments

• IMG_7235.JPG
    IMG_7235.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: JimBear
Yes goosebumps do cause a small muscular contraction which always produces some amount of heat. The original purpose of arrector pili ( I beat autocorrect this time) was to fluff our hair up like a bird fluffing feathers to insulation or a dog to look bigger. So we are both correct .
I did not know that honey locust were once carnivores. It makes sense with them being legumes (nitrogen fixers). Many carnivorous plants like Venus fly traps live in nitrogen poor soils. I am going to read up on that one. It will make a great lesson.

i've burnt black locust and luv it. it dries quicker than oak and burns just as hot and long as oak. i'll take it anytime. just when the bark is coming off to me it smells like puke only downfall of it

Reading the articles the authors indicate that there may be secondary benefits from the thorns that help them persist.

That’s what I was thinking. Regardless of one’s beliefs, we see evolution all around us. And I’m not even referring to the “theory of evolution” here. The giraffe with the longest neck will get the fruit from the high branches. It survives to pass its genes on more so than it’s shorter necked friends ...simple. It’s about helpful mutations- they get passed on when the individual survives. No doubt those spikes have served a purpose since the mastodons. Would make me think twice about going near it.

I am fortunate to have a lot of honey locust! The thorns are so tough that I find them Inside the split and they are still hard and sharp!

You should be grateful this species of tree is no longer a carnivore.

Reactions: Slocum
You should be grateful this species of tree is no longer a carnivore.
I like the firewood but they are the most hated tree around here. With the flat tires and the infections that the thorns cause people don't want them around. It odd but some of my honey locust don't have thorns and pretty sure they wasn't planted as a yard tree. These trees are 24"-30" across the stump. Guessing 60 years old +.

I have been reading up on bee keeping and have seen in more than one place that all the locust, especially the honey locust, make the best tasting honey.

Slocum, that is a amazing split. I have never seen that ever. Also I have seen thornless locust 5' diameter and about 150 years old. They have been around awhile. Kevin

Slocum, that is a amazing split. I have never seen that ever. Also I have seen thornless locust 5' diameter and about 150 years old. They have been around awhile. Kevin
I ended up getting several splits like that. Usually I try to split every log in half(using had splitter), I was splitting some big logs and was tired of fighting it so I started taking slabs off the sides. When I would work around the outside edges it would pull a split off of them thorns!

I have been reading up on bee keeping and have seen in more than one place that all the locust, especially the honey locust, make the best tasting honey.

Most Locust trees in bloom attract huge numbers of bees. You can hear them usually several feet away from the tree. This will be in about a month. Kevin

there's another reason to stay away from that tree. i'm allergic to bee stings

It is not a every time thing but an anomaly that pops up. Black and Honey locust are not of the same gentic branches. In fact one is not really a locust at all , old brain can't remember which at present though. I do know that exacto knife surgery is almost always required when you get stuck by one those things.